Almaran the Gold, Paladin: Figure 43 of 265

Chris Palmer

This week I painted the Paladin, Almaran the Gold,  from the 30 New Bones Set.  While studying this figure, I found myself picturing him all decked out in white armor (as do-gooders tend to be). 🙂 After doing an all black figure last week, I thought it might be interesting to try my hand at an all white look.  I did my usual prep of soaking overnight in dish soap and water; then, when dry, I glued the figure to a black-primed fender washer, and then glued this to half a tongue depressor,  for ease of handling during painting, with a drop of Elmer’s white glue.

I began by giving the whole figure a wash with diluted black ink, with a tiny drop of dish soap added to aid it running into the crevices on the figure.

After this had plenty of time to dry, I gave the whole figure a heavy drybrushing with plain white paint. I then went back with a fine tipped brush, and filled in areas that hadn’t been hit thoroughly enough with the drybrushing, in an attempt to help even out the tone, and brighten some of the broad flat surfaces and make crisp edges, as well as hit some of the harder to reach recesses.

Next, I painted the gown of the angel on his shield and the ribbon hanging from his back with  Americana “Salem Blue.” I also painted his face, as well as the faces and hands on the shield, and face on the armor, with Apple Barrel “Apple Flesh”.  I then painted his hair, the sword’s grip, the unarmored part of his gloved hands, and the flexible part in the elbow and behind the knees, with Americana “Charcoal Grey”. I also painted what I thought was hair, but now think is a hood, on the shield, and armor, heads with the same color.   I then gave the ribbon and gown a wash with Medium Blue ink.

At this point I added some highlights to the ribbon and gown with Anita’s “Baby Blue”. Next, I gave all the flesh areas a wash with Windsor Newton “peat Brown” Ink.  Then, when dry, I carefully drybrushed all the hair with Folk Art “Golden Harvest, followed by Americana”Moon Yellow, and lastly added highlights of Apple Barrel “Lemon Chiffon” with a fine tipped brush. I also painted in his eyes at this point; white with  a black dot for the pupil.

Next, I went to work on the metallic parts.  First, I  painted the end borders of the ribbon with Folk Art “Metallic Blue Sapphire”.  I then painted the wings, sword hilt, and some of the decorative elements on his armor with Ceramcoat “Bronze”. I then gave these parts a wash with the “Peat Brown ” ink.  When they were dry, I went back and painted highlights on these parts with Ceramcoat “14K Gold”. I also painted his sword, as well as the sword on the shield, with GW “Chainmail”, and then highlighted it with GW “Mithril Silver”

My final step was to do the fire on the flaming sword.  I began  by painting all the tongues of flame with the “Lemon Chiffon”.  I then worked my way towards the tips of the tongues adding, in order: Apple Barrel “Yellow”, Americana “Tangerine”, Americana “Burnt Orange”, and finally, Apple Barrel “Apple Maroon”.  I then went back and thinned some of the “Tangerine”, and painted a light coat along the blade right beneath the flames, and along the edged of the shoulder armor opposite the flames, to give the appearance of reflected light.  I then went back over these areas and added some dabs of thinned “Yellow”.
   I then let everything dry overnight, and then painted the whole model with Cermacoat “Matte Varnish”.  The next day I flocked the base, and after a period to dry, I sprayed the figure with Testor’s “Dullcote”.

In general, I’m pleased with how the figure turned out, However, I think I could have done the reflective light a little batter, but I was in a hurry to get done at that point.

Figure 43 of 265: Complete

via All Bones About It

Author: hawksgameclub

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *