Hell Hound: Figure 53 of 265

Chris Palmer

This week I painted the Hell Hound from the 30 New Bones Set.  I began my prep as usual, soaking the figure overnight in some water with a bit of dish soap added.  I then gave it a light scrub,with an old soft toothbrush, rinsed it, and let it dry.  Afterwards, I primed it black with Krylon with Fusion Camouflage Flat Black.  When dry, I glued it with Aleene’s Mighty Tacky glue to a 1.5 inch fender washer. I then glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of white glue for a more stable, easy to hold work surface.
  My first step was to do a little research in my old D & D Monster Manual to see what color these things were supposed to be.They are described as being rust red to red brown with glowing red eyes and black sooty mouths.    So to begin, I painted the body of the dog with Folk Art “Barnyard Red”

   I then painted the horn like protuberances on its back and neck with Americana “Buttermilk” Afterwards, I gave the whole thing a wash with Winsor Newton “Peat Brown” ink diluted with some water. When dry, I went back and drybrushed the body with the “Barn Red” again, and then added a little of the “Buttermilk” to the red and gave it a lighter drybrushing to add some light highlights. I also gave the horns some highlighting with the “Buttemilk”. I then painted the eyes with GW “Blood Red” and did light highlights on the cheeks below the eyes, and the brows above, to give the impression the eyes were glowing.

Next I started to work on the flames on the hound’s back.  I began by painting them with Apple Barrel “Lemon Chiffon”. I left a little black showing between them to give some separation and depth to them.

Next I painted them with Apple Barrel “Yellow”, leaving some of the “Lemon Chiffon” showing at the base of the flames

I now did a layer of Americana “Tangerine”, again leaving a bit of the two previous colors showing at the flames’ bases.

I followed this with a bit of GW “Blazing Orange”, at the ends of the flames.

And then some of the “Blood Red” on the very ends of the flames.

And finally, Apple Barrel “Apple Maroon” on the very tips of the flame tongues.

Finally, I painted the interior of the mouth, the teeth, and the claws with black, and then painted highlights on the teeth, tongue, and claws with GW “Shadow Grey”, followed by some smaller, lighter, highlights with Apple Barrel “Apple Scotch Blue”. I also went back and added a bit of highlighting with the “Tangerine” and “Yellow” to the horns on the back and neck of the hound, to give the impression of reflected light.  Then, after everything had had time to dry, I gave the figure a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish, and then flocked the base.  Afterwards, I sprayed it with Testor’s “Dullcote”.

I’m pleased with how this figure came out.   I enjoyed the practice doing effective flames.

Figure 53 of 265: Complete

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/1bqIbvW

Author: hawksgameclub

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *