With all that was going on this holiday week, I knew I wouldn’t have time to paint a complicated figure, so I chose the Well of Chaos from the Dungeon Dressing set to work on. I began, as usual, with soaking the figure overnight in some water with a little dish soap added, and then rinsed it and let it dry. I then glued it to a one and a quarter inch fender washer and primed it with Krylon Camouflage with Fusion Flat Black. I then glued it to a tongue depressor for ease of handling during painting.
I began by giving the fountain a heavy drybrushing with Folk Art “Dapple Gray”.
I then drybrushed a little lighter with Folk Art “Gray Green”.
Finally I added some drybrushed highlights with Folk Art “Celadon Green”. I wanted to make the fountain look like it was working, so I decided I would add a stream of water pouring from the spout just below the face and into the pool below. So, I snipped about an inch of a fiber optic strand, from an old Christmas light cover I have, to use as the water stream. I then took the pointy end of an old drawing compass and made a small hole in the pool base of the fountain.
I then finished some minor additions to the painting. First, I added some algae or mossy patches around the basin with Americana “Leaf Green”, then I added some water ripples in the basin by painting some stippled concentric circles with white paint around the hole I stuck in he basin’s bottom. Finally, I painted the base with Duncan’s “Slate Gray”. When this was done and had time to dry, I painted the whole thing in Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”; and then after it had time to dry, I sprayed it with Testors “Dullcote”. I now glued my section of fiber optic strand into place with super glue, and lastly I painted the bottom of the basin with Cermacoat “Gloss Varnish” to help with the illusion of water.
I’m pleased with how this quick project turned out. I will make a nice scenic detail piece.
Figure 56 of 265: Complete.
via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/18TWw9J