Chris Palmer As I mentioned in my previous post, the “Song of Blades and Heroes” battle report; two weeks ago I finished the Spirit translucent figure quickly enough, that I was able to also paint up 3 test Goblin figures for use with my Orc warband for the SoBaH games I was playing that weekend. The Goblins were from the Dungeon Attack set, and I chose one of each pose to begin with. I didn’t want to paint them the same old green that has become so common for Goblins, so I consulted my old beaten-up copy of the D & D Monster Manual, and read up on Goblins. It said that their skin color ranged from yellow, to dull orange, to brick red…nothing about green. So, I decided to go with the middle of the range there and paint them a dull orange-ish.
To begin with though, I prepped them in the usual way; soaking in water with a bit of dish soap added, giving a gentle scrub with an old soft toothbrush, then rinsing and drying. Afterwards, I primed them with Krylon Camouflage Flat Black with Fusion. I then glued them to 1″ fender washers with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the washers to a tongue depressor with a coupe small dabs of Elmer’s white glue, for ease of handling during painting.
To begin, I painted all their exposed skin areas with Accent “Golden Oxide”.
Next, I painted their Tunics with Apple Barrel “Burnt Sienna”, and the padded jerkin on the archer with Accent “Mustard Seed”. For the fur areas on the neck of the mace Goblin, and the boots of the spear Goblin, I first painted the areas with Ceramcoat “walnut” and then dry brushed with Americana “Sable Brown”. I then painted their hats with Americana “Mississippi Mud”
I also painted the shields with Ceramcoat “Bright Red”. Then I did the backs of the shields with the “Walnut”, and then all the straps and belts with Americana “Asphaltum”. The Quiver I painted with Accent “Real Umber” and the arrow shafts with Crafters “Spice Brown”. I painted the fletchings by dry brushing them with GW “Fortress Grey”
I then painted the handle of the mace, bow, and spear shaft with the “Spice Brown”. Lastly I painted all the metal armor, weapons parts, and buckles with Accent “Princely Pewter”.
My next step was to work on the stonework bases they were standing on. I painted these with Duncan “Slate Grey”, and then painted the blobs of vegetation sitting on the stones with DecoArt “Forest Green”. Lastly, I painted their teeth and th claws on their feet with Americana”Buttermilk”. When all the paint was dry, I washed the figures completely with some watered down Winsor-Newton Peat Brown Ink.
When the ink wash dried, I added highlights to their skin and clothing by repainting some of the raised areas with the base color. I also added some highlights to the metal parts with Ceramcoat “Metallic Pewter”, and highlighted their teeth and claws with the “Buttermilk”. Then, after everything had time to dry, I painted on a coat of Ceamcoat “Matt Varnish”. When this had dried I flocked the bases. Even though they were sculpted to look like dungeon floors, I wanted to use my Goblins in outdoor settings, so I flocked them to look like perhaps the Goblins were standing on parts of old ruins or an overgrown path. After the flock had dried, I sprayed the figures with Testor’s Dullcote.
Overall, I’m pleased with how these turned out. I think the dull orange skin really works on these figures. Especially in contrast to their drab clothing. And, they were nice and quick and easy to paint.
Now to work on the other 9 Goblins from the set.
Figures 59-61: Complete
from All Bones About It http://ift.tt/Kzegf2