This week I worked some more on my Goblins from the Dungeon Attack set; completing another 3 of them. With big groups of similar figures like the 12 Goblins that came in the Kickstarter, I often paint them in small batches, (like with these goblins, doing them 3 at a time) doing all the clothing and accessories in each batch with the same colors; then when you put all the little batches together into a big group, the similarity becomes much less noticeable, and it looks like a nice hodge-podge mix of figures. The completion of these 3 Goblins mark the milestone in my painting efforts of having completed 65 of my 265 figures, leaving exactly 200 Bones from the first Kickstarter left to paint
As I mentioned in my previous Goblin post, I didn’t want to paint them the same old green that has become so common for Goblins, so I consulted the D & D Monster Manual, and read up on Goblins. It said that their skin color ranged from yellow, to dull orange, to brick red…nothing about green. So, I decided to go with the middle of the range and paint them a dull orange-ish.
To begin with though, I prepped them in the usual way; soaking in water with a bit of dish soap added, giving a gentle scrub with an old soft toothbrush, then rinsing and drying. Afterwards, I primed them with Krylon Camouflage Flat Black with Fusion. I then glued them to 1” fender washers with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the washers to a tongue depressor with a coupe small dabs of Elmer’s white glue, for ease of handling during painting.
Next, I painted their Tunics with Folk Art “Dapple Grey”, and the padded jerkin on the archer with Aleene’s “Dusty Khaki”. For the fur areas on the neck of the mace Goblin, and the boots of the spear Goblin, I dry brushed the areas with GW “Codex Grey”.
I then painted their hats with Folk Art “Barnyard Red”. I also painted the shields with Ceramcoat “Bright Red” and with Black; doing a half and half pattern on the mace Goblin’s shield, and a quartered pattern on the spear Goblin’s. Then I did the backs of the shields with the “Walnut”, and then all the straps and belts with Americana “Asphaltum”. The Quiver I painted with Accent “Real Umber” and the arrow shafts with Crafters “Spice Brown”. I painted the fletchings by dry brushing them with GW “Fortress Grey”
I then painted the handle of the mace, bow, and spear shaft with the “Spice Brown”. Lastly I painted all the metal armor, weapon and shield parts, and buckles with Accent “Princely Pewter”.
My next step was to work on the stonework bases they were standing on. I painted these with Duncan “Slate Grey”, and then painted the blobs of vegetation sitting on the stones with DecoArt “Forest Green”. Lastly, I painted their teeth and the claws on their feet with Americana”Buttermilk”. When all the paint was dry, I washed the figures completely with some watered down Winsor-Newton Peat Brown Ink.
When the ink wash dried, I added highlights to their skin and clothing by repainting some of the raised areas with the base color. I also added some highlights to the metal parts with Ceramcoat “Metallic Pewter”, and highlighted their teeth and claws with the “Buttermilk”. I also painted their eyes with the “Buttermilk”, and added black pupils. Then, after everything had time to dry, I painted on a coat of Ceamcoat “Matt Varnish”. When this had dried I flocked the bases. Even though they were sculpted to look like dungeon floors, I wanted to use my Goblins in outdoor settings, so I flocked them to look like perhaps the Goblins were standing on parts of old ruins or an overgrown path. After the flock had dried, I sprayed the figures with Testor’s Dullcote.
Overall, I’m pleased with how these are turning out. As I said before, I think the dull orange skin really works on these figures. Especially in contrast to their drab clothing.
Now there’s 6 more Goblins in the set to do.
Figures 63-65: Complete