This week I painted Goldar the Barbarian from the 30 New Bones set. With the completion of this figure, I am now officially at the point of having less than 200 figures to go.
I prepared this figure in the usual way; first soaking overnight in water with a little dish soap added, and then giving a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and rinsing to remove any remaining mold release agent. I then glued it to a black-primed 1” fender washer using Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the washer to half a tongue depressor with two small drops of Elmer’s white glue.
|Yes, I accidentally got some red paint on the figure while working on another project.|
I began by painting his upper body with Americana “Shading Flesh”. I wasn’t sure, from looking at the sculpt, whether he was supposed to be wearing pants or have bare legs. The creases in his thighs looked more like folds in cloth than muscle to me, so I painted them as pants with Apple Barrel “Apple Black Green”. I then painted his waist cape Folk Art “Poppy Seed”. And finally, I painted the little fur loincloth, and what appeared to be areas of fur lining sticking out from under his bracers, with slightly thinned Duncan “Slate Grey”; and his ax handle I painted with Ceramcoat “Walnut”.
Next, I gave all the flesh areas a wash with thinned Winsor-Newton “Peat Brown” ink. When this was dry, I gave his skin areas a drybrushing with some of the “Shading Flesh” with some lighter-toned Apple Barrel “Apple Flesh” mixed in to lighten it. I then went back and added some specific muscle and facial highlights with the plain “Apple Flesh”. I also painted on two nipples using some of the “Shading Flesh” mixed with some GW “Terracotta”. I then added stripes to his pants with GW “Golden Yellow”
My next step was to paint all the areas that appeared to be leather; the bracers, belts, straps, parts of the boots, and the upper shoulder guard, with plain black. Then I painted all metal bits with Ceramcoat “Metallic Pewter”. I also, at this point, painted the white base with the “Walnut”
Lastly, I gave everything that wasn’t flesh a wash with thinned Vallejo black ink.
When the ink wash was dry, I went back and added some highlighting to the pants with the base colors I had used; and on the black areas, I added some highlights with GW “Shadow Grey”. The metal parts I highlighted with GW “Chainmail”. I painted in eyes with white and then black pupils.
When everything had dried overnight, I painted the figure with a coat of Ceramcoat “Matt Varnish”. When this had dried, I flocked the base. Finally, I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote”
I’m pleased with how this fellow turned out. I needed a good fighter figure for my Song of Blades and Heroes games, as it seemed most of the figures I had painted so far were archers or magic users, and this guy should fit the bill nicely.
Figure 66 of 265: Complete
via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/1dcclcb
on tumblr: http://ift.tt/1iRosfb