Goblins Completed! Figures 71-73 of 265

Chris Palmer

     This week I finished the last three of the Goblins from the Dungeon Attack set.  As I mentioned in my previous Goblin posts,  I didn’t want to paint them the same old green that has become so common for Goblins, so I consulted the D & D Monster Manual, and read up on Goblins.  It said that their skin color ranged from yellow, to dull orange, to brick red…nothing about green.  So, I decided to go with the middle of the range and paint them a dull orange-ish.
      To begin with though, I prepped them in the usual way; soaking in water with a bit of dish soap added, giving a gentle scrub with an old soft toothbrush, then rinsing and drying.  Afterwards, I primed them with Krylon Camouflage Flat Black with Fusion.  I then glued them to 1” fender washers with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the washers to a tongue depressor with a coupe small dabs of Elmer’s white glue, for ease of handling during painting.

     Like each time before, I began by painting all their exposed skin areas with Accent “Golden Oxide”.   I then painted their Tunics with GW “Graveyard Earth”, and the padded jerkin on the archer with GW “Scorched Brown”.  I also painted  the fur areas on the neck of the mace Goblin, and the boots of the spear Goblin, with the “Scorched Brown.”  I then dry brushed these areas with Folk Art “Barn Wood”.  I then painted their hats with Americana “Alvacado”.

    Then I did the backs of the shields with Ceramcoat “Walnut”, and then all the straps and belts with Americana “Asphaltum”.  The Quiver I painted with Accent “Real Umber” and the arrow shafts with Crafter’s “Spice Brown”. I then painted the handle of the mace, bow, and spear shaft with the “Spice Brown”. Next, I painted the fletchings by dry brushing them with the Folk Art “Medium Gray.” The facings of the shields I left plain black this time. I painted the boots of the spear-wielding Goblin with GW “Snakebite Leather”.

     My next step was to work on the stonework bases they were standing on.  I painted these with Duncan “Slate Grey”, and then painted the blobs of vegetation sitting on the stones with DecoArt “Forest Green”.  Next, I painted their teeth and the claws on their feet with Americana”Buttermilk”.  Lastly I painted the metal armor, weapon and shield parts, and buckles with Accent “Princely Pewter”.

    When all the paint was dry,  I washed the figures completely with some watered down Winsor-Newton Peat Brown Ink

     When the ink wash dried, I added highlights to their skin and clothing by repainting some of the raised areas with the base color.  I also added some highlights to the metal parts with Ceramcoat “Metallic Pewter”, and highlighted their teeth and claws with the “Buttermilk”. I also painted their eyes with the “Buttermilk”, and added black pupils.  Then, after everything had time to dry, I painted on a coat of Ceamcoat “Matt Varnish”.  When this had dried I flocked the bases.  Even though they were sculpted to look like dungeon floors, I wanted to use my Goblins in outdoor settings, so I flocked them to look like perhaps the Goblins were standing on parts of old ruins or an overgrown path.  After the flock had dried, I sprayed the figures with Testor’s Dullcote.


     I’m pleased with how these last three turned out, and am happy to see the Goblin chapter  finally closed.  Below is a picture of the whole gang of them, and I think they make a nice mob of malicious Goblininess. 🙂

Figures 71-73: Complete

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/1kBstWv
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1kBt0rD
via IFTTT

Author: hawksgameclub

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *