Giant Spiders: Figures 91 & 92 of 265

Chris Palmer

First let me apologize for no Monday post, but it has been really busy around here, as my wife and I are in the process of buying a new house.   I was, however, able to squeeze in the two Giant Spiders from the Vermin set this past week to have something to post today.
      I prepped them in the usual way; soaking overnight in some water with a couple drops of dish soap added, and then giving a light scrub with a soft toothbrush and rinsing, then drying.  As you may remember from previous posts, I ran out of my usual Krylon Flat Black Camouflage with Fusion spray paint a couple weeks ago, and I was unable to find a replacement can of it. (I hope Krylon hasn’t stopped making it!) So, I got a can of Krylon regular Flat Black Fusion, which I hoped would be the same as the Camouflage variety, but it turned out it wasn’t.  I sprayed these guys with it, and as expected, it left them tacky, even after a few days of drying.        I glued the figures to 1 inch black-primed fender washers, and glued these to a tongue depressor for ease of handling during painting.
        I decided, like the Giant Beetles, I finished a little while ago, that I didn’t want to do theses just plain old black, brown or gray.  So, since I had just done the Giant Beetles in a green scheme, I tried to think of another icky bug color to paint these, and came up with red as a good possibility.  So, like with the Beetles, I went to Google and did an image search for “Red Spiders”.  Eeeeks, there’s a page I didn’t want to study too long, as a page full of pictures of red spiders is a really creepy thing! Anyway, I got a general idea of how a red spider looks with a quick perusal, and set about to paint these Bones.  To start, I painted them with black craft paint to remove the shiny tackiness.  (I may just end up using regular black craft paint to do all my priming from now on, as I really don’t like the tackiness.)

  Next, I painted them with Apple Barrel “Apple Maroon”, gently feathering the paint up onto the rear segment of the body, generally trying to leave this rear segment the original black.

I then dry brushed the areas I has just painted with Ceramcoat “Bright Red”.

I followed this with adding some highlights to the raised areas with Americana “Cadmium Red”.  Next, I cleaned up the black on the rear segments, carefully feathering the black back over any red that had covered too much of the segment. I also added some drybrushed black sections to the tip of each leg. And, at this time I added two black dots for eyes.  Lastly, I painted the fangs with Americana “Buttermilk, and then gave them white highlights; I also added tiny white highlight dots to each eye.
   After the Spiders had a couple hours to dry, I gave them each a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish, and when this was dry, I flocked their bases. I let this dry overnight, and then sprayed them with Testor’s “Dullcote” the next day.

Like the Giant Beetles, I’m pleased with how these turned out.  I really think using a non-standard color for these worked really well, making them look particularly terrifying.

Figures 91 & 92: Complete

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/1rK7Mck
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1nNG6pt
via IFTTT

0

Author: hawksgameclub

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *