Alter of Evil: Figure 93 of 265

Chris Palmer

    As I mentioned in my previous post, it’s been a busy few weeks for me, but I was able to knock out the Alter of Evil from the Dungeon Dressing set; creeping ever so slowly to my 100-figures-completed mark.
     I prepped it in the usual way; soaking overnight in some water with a couple drops of dish soap added, and then giving a light scrub with a soft toothbrush and rinsing, then drying.  As you may remember from previous posts, I ran out of my usual Krylon Flat Black Camouflage with Fusion spray paint a couple weeks ago, and I was unable to find a replacement can of it. (I hope Krylon hasn’t stopped making it!) So, I got a can of Krylon regular Flat Black Fusion, which I hoped would be the same as the Camouflage variety, but it turned out it wasn’t.  I sprayed this peice with it, and as expected, it left it tacky, even after a few days of drying.      
    I glued the alter to a 1.5 inch by 3/4 inch black-primed metal base, and glued this to a tongue depressor for ease of handling during painting.
    In looking at the alter, I decided I didn’t want to make it the usual dull grey carved stone.   So, I got in my head to do it as black marble, since I felt I had had success painting my Stone Golem as marble.  
    I began by painting the whole piece with black craft paint to hide the tackiness of the primer.

    Next, I drybrushed the whole alter with GW “Shadow Grey” to bring out the highlights

      I added white striations and some speckling next, trying to give it that “marble” look.

     I painted the the skulls on top with Ceramcoat “Bronze”.

     Next, I drybrushed the skulls with Ceramcoat “14K Gold”.   I then got out my bottle of Apple Barrel “Apple Maroon”, and with my small drybrush I dabbed in a stippling way on top of the alter to add a blood stain.  Lastly, I painted the metal base around the alter with Folk Art “Medium “Gray”.
     When the piece had a few hours to dry, I painted the whole thing with Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”, and when this had dried overnight I sprayed the alter with Testor’s “Dullcote”

     I’m pleased with how this came out, as I think it has a good “evil” look to it.   And best of all it was a nice easy piece to paint that I could complete in a day.

Figure 93 of 265: Complete

via All Bones About It
from Tumblr

Author: hawksgameclub

2 thoughts on “Alter of Evil: Figure 93 of 265

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *