This week I didn’t have a lot of time, as I was prepping to go to the Nashcon gaming convention in Franklin, Tennessee this past weekend, where my game club and I ran 14 games. So, I picked a simple Bones figure to complete before I headed out last Thursday: the Treasure Chest from the Dungeon dressing set.
I began my preparation in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying. I had sprayed this figure with the Krylon Fusion Flat Black, a couple weeks ago when I was experimenting with using it, and the paint on the chest was still a little tacky. I glued the chest to a 1” black-primed fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and glued the washer to half a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s White Glue.
To start the figure, I drybrushed all the coins and treasure laying around the base with Ceramcoat “Bronze”. I then went back over the treasure and did a lighter highlight drybrusing with Ceramcoat “14K Gold”
Next, I painted the wood on the chest with Americana “Mississippi Mud”, and then did all the metal work on the chest with Ceramcoat “Metallic Pewter”. I also used this color to paint the hilt of the sword, as well as a coupe of pieces of non-coin treasure in the pile.
I now painted the scabbard of the sword in the treasure pile with Apple Barrel “Burnt Sienna”, and the sword’s grip with Accent “Real Umber”. I let all that dry a little, and then gave the whole piece a wash with some thinned GW “Devlan Mud” wash.
After the wash had had a few hours to dry, I did highlights on the figure, starting with doing some drybrushing on the wood of the chest with Americana “Khaki Tan”, being careful not to get any on the metal bits. I then added some highlights to the treasure pile with the “14K Gold”. After this, I took some Folk Art “Silver Sterling” and carefully painted some of the coins in the treasure pile as silver pieces. I also used this color to add some highlights to the metal work of the chest and hilt of the sword. Lastly, I used a little Ceramcoat “Metallic Copper” and added a copper piece to the pile here and there.
I let the chest dry for a several hours, and then gave it a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”. After that dried, I flocked the base. The next day, I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote” spray paint.
I think this turned out very well. It was a nice simple figure to do, with a lot of good details sculpted in it which made drybrushing on it it very easy.
Figure 98 of 265: Complete