This week I am happy to announce that I completed my 100th figure from the first Bones Kickstarter: the Nightspectre, from the Haunts set! This milestone also marks the completion of the Haunts set, and so it gets added to my list of completed sets over on the right-hand column of this blog. Onward to the next 165 figures!
I prepped this figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying. I then glued the figure to a 2” black-primed fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue.
With all the other figures from the Haunts set, I had fallen back on the obvious step of applying a wash of green ink to the figure, or some a part of it, to give some shading to the translucent green plastic. This time I thought I’d try something different, and so I gave the whole figure a wash with some thinned Iron Wind Metals purple ink to begin with. After the ink had dried, I very carefully painted the skeletons in the vapor cloud with black paint
When the black paint had dried, I painted the skeletons’ bones with Americana “Buttermilk”.
I then went back and applied heavy highlights to the skeletons with white paint. I then painted the base of the figure black to cover the green translucent plastic that I was going to apply flock over. After the figure had overnight to dry, I painted the whole thing with Cermacoat “Matte Varnish”; and when this was dry, I flocked the base. The following day, I sprayed the figure with Testor’s “Dullcote”.
I’m very pleased with how this turned out. I actually think the purple ink over the green translucent Bones material looks kind of cool.
I will be taking a break from posting anything next week, as my wife and I move to a new house this week, so I will be without a painting table for several days. I’ll see you back here on the 23rd when I will post figure 101, and we will be marking the 1 year anniversary week for this blog. 🙂
Figure 100 of 265: Complete