Anval Thricedamned, Evil Warrior: Figure 108 of 265

Chris Palmer

     Over the weekend I completed Anval Thricedamned, Evil Warrior from the 30 New Bones Set.  I am nearly finished this original set, with just the Harpy left to do. Hopefully I can paint her this week.
     I  had prepped this figure a while back in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying.  This is another of those figures that  I had sprayed with the Krylon with Fusion Flat Black, back when I was still using spray primer.   I glued him to a 1” black-primed fender washer base with Aleene’s Tacky glue. I let this dry and then glued the washer to half a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s white glue.

     I began by drybrusing the whole figure with Cermacoat “Metallic Pewter”.

     Next, I painted all his exposed skin with Americana “Shading Flesh. I then painted his leggings, what there were of them, with Folk Art “Poppy Seed”.  The material under his chain-mail skirt I painted with Anita’s “Burnt Sienna”.  I now took about three or four of my bottles of assorted dark brown paints and alternated them as I painted the rest of his belts, boot parts, bits of fabric, wrist guards, etc….everything that I guessed wasn’t metal.  This is one of those figures I find so challenging to paint; where it is wearing so many layer of assorted bits and pieces, that it’s hard to tell what’s what and what belongs with what, and even what’s metal and what’s cloth or leather.

     I now painted his ax handle with Americana “Sable Brown”. I let the figure at this point have plenty of time to dry, then I gave  the whole thing a wash with thinned GW “Agrax Earthshade” wash.

     When the wash had dried, I went back and added highlights to his flesh with, first, the “Shading Flesh”, and then with some of the “Shading Flesh”, with the lighter Apple Barrel “Apple Flesh” mixed in. I then highlighted all the metal with, first, the “Metallic Pewter”, and then with some lighter Folk Art “Silver Sterling”.
     My next step was to paint the stones sculpted onto the figure’s base, with Folk Art “Medium Gray”. Then I edged the stones with some Duncan “Slate Grey”.   
     I now let the figure sit for several hours, and then I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”.  When this was dry, I flocked the edges of the base, letting some of the stonework remain visible in the center.   The next morning I sprayed it with Testor’s “Dullcote” spray paint.

     I pleased with how this big fellow turned out. It’s not a particularly dynamic figure, or colorful one for that mater, but it makes a good solid barbarian-type fighter to have in my collection.

Figure 108 of 265: Complete

via All Bones About It
from Tumblr

Author: hawksgameclub

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *