Deenah, Female Barbarian: Figure 117 of 265

Chris Palmer

     Making my way through the Fighters set, this week I painted Deenah the Female Barbarian.  As I studied the figure, I wasn’t sure what to make of the herringbone pattern on her skirt; was it supposed to be armored plates, or truly just a herring bone weave?  I decided I would paint it like a tartan, so whatever it was supposed to be, would be disguised by the cross-checks of the tartan plaid. I also apparently was still on a bronze armor kick from last week’s Dragonman, as all I could visualize her armor as being was bronze colored.
      I prepped this figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying.  I then glued the figure to a 1” black-primed fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s White Glue.

     I began by painting the fur on her boots with Americana “Asphaltum”.  When this was dry I drybrushed it with Americana “Khaki Tan”. I then painted her boots with Ceramcoat “Walnut”. Next, I painted all her skin with Apple Barrel “Flesh”, followed with painting her skirt Apple Barrel “Apple Blue Spruce”.

     Next, I did the tartan pattern on her skirt.  First, I painted each of the little herring bone sections with Americana “True Blue”, letting a little of the “Apple Blue Spruce” show through between each section. Then I painted yellow crosses on each blue section with Apple Barrel “Yellow”.

     I now painted her belts and the little pouch at the front, with DecoArt “Cinnamon Brown”.  I then painted the canteen(?) and the little pouches behind her scabbard with Apple Barrel “Burnt Sienna”. The hanging under the pouch at her front I painted GW “Snakebite Leather”,  her scabbard I painted Ceramcoat “Raw Sienna”, and her ax handle I painted Americana  ”Mississippi Mud”.  Her forearm guards I painted with the “Khaki Tan”, and her shirt sleeves I painted with Americana “Wedgewood Blue”. I painted her hair Anita’s “Burnt Sienna”.

     Now I painted her armor with GW “Brazen Brass”. The hilt of her large sword I painted with Cermacoat “Bronze”.  Then I  painted the  blade of the large sword, the hilt of the smaller sword, and the ax head,  all with Ceramcoat “Metallic Pewter”.  I then painted the sword grips with the “Asphaltum”.

     Next, I drybrushed the stones she stands upon with Folk Art “Medium Grey”, followed with a lighter drybrushing with Duncan “Slate Grey”.  Then, after everything had time to dry, I gave the entire figure a wash with thinned Winsor-Newton “Peat Brwon ” ink,  except the kilt which I carefully avoided. The stones I gave a wash with thinned black ink.

       After the ink had had plenty of time to dry, I went back and worked on her face.  First, I painted he eyes, with first white “whites”, and then black pupils.  I also painted her teeth white, and her lips with  Americana “Shading Flesh”.  I then added eyebrows with the Anita’s “Burnt Sienna”. Lastly, I added highlights to her face, hands, and arms, with the base “Apple Flesh”. I then drybrushed highlights onto her hair, with first the base Anita’s “Burnt Sienna”, and then with Americana “Georgia Clay”.  I then added highlights to the forearm guards, the scabbard, her shirt, jug, and pouch, all using the original base colors.  I then worked on highlighting the metals; using the “Bronze” to highlight her armor, and Cermacoat “14K Gold” on the hilt of her large sword”.  For the blades of her sword and ax I used Folk Art “Silver Sterling” for the highlights.
      I let the figure sit overnight, and the next morning I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”.  Later that afternoon I flocked the base, and the following day I sprayed it with Testor’s “Dullcote” spray varnish.

       I’m really pleased with how she turned out, especially her face.  I find faces to be tricky things; you can’t continually work on them without them getting really gunked-up looking, so when one turns out relatively good with minimal repainting I’m very happy.  I also really like the dynamic pose, and in the end I think the tartan plaid looks good on the figure.

    Figure 117 of 265: Complete

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/1s1asWT
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1uQOJn1
via IFTTT

0

Author: hawksgameclub

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *