Virina, Female Demon: Figure 119 of 265

Chris Palmer

     This week I painted Virina, the female demon, from the BBEG (Big Bad Evil Guys) set.  As I pondered how I was going to paint her, I got in my head to do her in all black, and then I thought it might be neat to give her bright red hair to contrast with the black body.  I then happened to see a picture of some pumpkinhead figures someone had painted and had done cool fire-glowing eye effects on the jack-o-lantern heads; and the idea came to me that perhaps instead of doing plain red hair, it might be cool to try and paint the hair like glowing fire.  Since I have 200-some Bones figures to paint, the opportunity to do experimenting with stuff like this is one of the things I like.

         I prepped this figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying.  I then glued the figure to a 1” black-primed fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s White Glue.
     I then painted her all black, doing my best to avoid the hair.

Next, I gave the whole body a drybrushing with Duncan “Slate Blue” to add highlights to the black body and wings.  Her hooves and horns I drybrushed with Folk Art “Medium Grey”.

I then painted her hair Apple Barrel “Lemon Chiffon”.

I then carefully drybrushed over the “Lemon Chiffon with first, Americana “Tangerine”, and then Ceramcoat “Bright Red”.

     And, lastly, I went over the hair with Apple Barrel “Apple Maroon”.  I then painted the ring on her hair, first with Ceramcoat “Bronze, and then added highlights with Ceramcoat “14K Gold”.  Next I tried to add reflected light from the hair onto her shoulders, chest, arms, tail, wings, and face by lightly drybrushing them with the “Tangerine”  Finally, I added eyes with the “Lemon Chiffon” and then added black pupils, and then touched up any exposed white areas of her integral base with the black.
       The next morning I gave it the figure coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”.   Later in the afternoon I flocked the base, and the next day I sprayed it with Testor’s “Dullcote” spray varnish.

     Well, I like it, but I’m not totally happy with the figure, I think the black body turned out looking cool, but I don’t know if the hair effect really works, and I still need to work on my relected light effects, as I think they came off heavy-handed.

Figure 119 of 265: Complete

via All Bones About It
from Tumblr

Author: hawksgameclub

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *