This week I painted Kavorgh, Orc Warboss from the BBEG set. I had done a number of Bones Orcs before from the 30 New Bones set, so I had a pretty good plan for how I was going to go about painting this guy.
I prepped this figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying. I then glued the figure to a 1.25” black-primed fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s White Glue.
I then painted him all black. When the black was dry, I went back over the figure and drybrushed all the metal parts, except the ax, with Ceramcoat “Metallic Pewter”.
I then repainted black any areas of the fur garments that had gotten the “Metallic Pewter” on them, and then drybrushed the upper fur garments with Folk Art “Medium Grey”. I and then painted the lower garment with Americana “Asphaltum”, and when dry, drybrushed it with Americana “Khaki Tan”.
Next, I realized I had forgotten to drybrush the metal bits on the front of his shield, so I went back and drybrushed it with the “Metallic Pewter”. Then, I painted all his skin with Aleene’s “Deep Khaki”. I followed this with painting his undershirt Folk Art “Deep Tomato Red”. I then used a variety of my browns, red-browns, and mustard-browns to paint his many haphazard garments and straps. His main shirt, with the metal plates sewn on it, I painted with the “Asphaltum”, and the big wide belt he wears, as well as the back of the shield, I painted with the Americana “Charcoal Grey”. I painted the border around the shield with Folk Art “True Burgundy”. The ax handle I painted Americana “Mississippi Mud”.
I then painted all the hands tacked on his shield using a variety of flesh tones. The bone and one of the paper or cloth scraps I painted with Americana “Buttermilk. While I had this out, I also painted his teeth with it. I finished up by painting the hair and other fragments nailed on the shield. When everything was dry, I gave the whole figure a wash with thinned GW “Agrax Earthshade” wash.
After the wash had a good long time to dry, I went back and added in his eyes using the “Buttermilk” with black pupils added. I then highlighted his skin with the original “Deep Khaki”, and then mixed a little lighter Aleene’s “Dusty Khaki” into it to add some lighter skin highlights. I highlighter his garments with their original colors, and the same with the shield and the stuff nailed to it. The bone on the shield I used some white to highlight. Lastly, I used the “Metallic Pewter” to paint the metal parts of the ax. I then went back and highlighted the edges of the ax head with Folk Art “Silver Sterling”.
I let the figure sit overnight, and the next morning I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”. Later that afternoon I flocked the base, and the next day I sprayed it with Testor’s “Dullcote” spray varnish.
I’m pleased with how this fellow came out. He will be a nice commander for to my Bones orc horde.
I played another pair of “Song of Blades and Heroes” games using my Bones figures this past weekend; so I hope to have the battle reports posted on Thursday. So tune in then!
Figure 120 of 265: Complete