Pathfinder Goblin Pyros: Figure 121 & 122 of 265

Chris Palmer

    This week I took a break from the BBEG Set, and worked a bit on the We Be Goblins! Pathfinder Goblins Set.  As I get closer to the halfway mark on this project, I wanted some quick little figures that I could paint in groups to help move my numbers along. 🙂
    As the weather here has turned chilly, it put my mind to a long-time desire I’ve had to do some winter specific figures for use on snowy terrain.  Since I had already painted the other Goblin set in this Kickstarter normally, I thought these Goblins might be fun to do as some sort of Snow Goblins.
       I prepped them in the usual way; soaking in water with a bit of dish soap added, giving a gentle scrub with an old soft toothbrush, then rinsing and drying.  I then glued them to 7/8” fender washers with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the washers to a tongue depressor with a couple small dabs of Elmer’s white glue, for ease of handling during painting.

To begin with, I painted their skin with Anita’s “Baby Blue”.  When this was dry, I gave the skin areas a wash with thinned Iron Wind Metals “Blue Ink”.

     When the ink wash was completely dry, I began painting the Goblins’ outfits.  I started with painting their tunics with Folk Art “Medium Grey”. Then I painted their loin “hangings” with Folk  Art “Dapple Gray”.  Next, I did their “armor” plates with Accent “Mustard Seed”.  Their leggings I painted Americana “Khaki Tan”, and their wrist wraps I painted Folk Art “Barn Wood”.
     Now I worked on some of the detail bits. I painted their teeth Americana “Buttermilk”, and what I assumed was teeth hanging around their necks (it might have been fringe…I’m not sure) I painted with the “Buttermilk” as well.  I also used the Buttermilk” to paint the skulls on the right hand Goblin. Next, I painted the cords on the “armor” plates, and the necklace cords with Ceramcoat “Maple Sugar Tan”. I painted the upper arm wrap on the right-hand Goblin with Folk Art “Burgundy”. Finally, I painted the torch handles with Americana “Mississippi Mud”, the sword grips with Americana “Asphaltum”, and the rock the left-hand Goblin is standing on with the “Medium grey”..

I now painted the swords with Ceramcoat “Metallic Pewter”, as well as the ring around the top of the left-hand Goblin’s torch.   I then painted the balls on the sword hilts and the coin-like things on the right-hand Goblin’s wrist wrap, with Folk Art “Metallic Blue Sapphire”.  When everything had had time to dry, I went back and carefully applied GW “Agrax Earthshade” wash to all the parts that weren’t blue skin.  I was as careful as I could be not to let it run onto the blue skin, except I applied small amounts to their eye sockets and mouths.

     After the wash had had time to dry, I went back and added highlights.  I began by highlighting the skin with the original “Baby Blue”.  This allowed me to cover any mistakes where wash had gotten onto the blue. Next, I added eyes with the “Buttermilk”, and then added black pupils.  I then used the original clothing/armor colors to add highlights to all they were wearing.  I highlighted the blades of their swords with Folk Art “Silver Sterling”.  Lastly I painted the torch flames beginning with Apple Barrel “Lemon Chiffon at the bottom, and then Americana “Tangerine”, and then Ceramcoat “Bright Red”. lastly I added some dabs of the “Burgundy” at the very tips of the flames.  My final step was to paint the figures’ bases with the “Baby Blue”, thinking the blue color would look neat under the snow flocking I planned to use.
      I let the Goblins sit overnight, and the next morning I gave them a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”.  Later that afternoon I flocked their bases, using Woodland Scenics snow flocking.  Unfortunately, this was not as opaque as I hoped, and a lot of the blue undercoat color showed through.  I tried over-painting a lot of the now-flocked areas with white paint, and reflocked them.   The next day I sprayed ithem with Testor’s “Dullcote” spray varnish.

   I’m pleased with how these fellows turned out.   I think the general winter tones really make the torch flames pop. Now on to their 7 friends.

Figures 121 & 122: Complete

via All Bones About It
from Tumblr

Author: hawksgameclub

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *