This week I wrapped up the Dwarves Set by painting Dain Deepaxe. The Dwarves now join the list of completed sets over in the right-hand column. This was a rather straightforward figure to paint, and didn’t really pose any real challenges.
I prepped this figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying. I then glued the figure to a 1” black-primed fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s White Glue.
I began by painting the figure with black, and when dry, gave it a heavy drybrushing of Ceramcoat “Metallic Pewter”. I then went over this with a lighter drybrushing of Folk Art “Silver Sterling”.
Next, I painted his face and and hands with Americana “Shading Flesh”, his pants with Anita’s “Burnt Sienna”; and his loin hanging, scabbard and shield with Americana “True Blue”.
The back of his shield I painted with Americana “Zinc”, the handle of his ax I painted Americana “Sable Brown”, and the grips on his sword and hammer and the straps on his shield I painted Accent “Real Umber” His boots, and his backpack I painted with Americana “Asphaltum”.
I did the little pouch on his back with GW Snakebite Leather”, and the blanket roll with Folk Art “Settlers Blue”. His beard I painted with “Crafter’s Edition “Spice Brown”. I painted the base of the horns with Americana “Charcoal Grey” and then blended that with Americana “Buttermilk” to paint the middle, and lastly painted the points with plain “Buttermilk”. The fur around the base of the horns, and the rope tying the blanket roll, I painted with Americana “Khaki Tan”
After everything had a while to dry, I gave the figure a wash with GW “Agrax Earthshade” wash.
When the wash was good and dry, I worked on his face; painting in his eyes with black sockets, white whites, and black pupils. I then did highlights on his face and hands with the base “Shading Flesh”. Likewise, I did highlights on his beard, pants, blanket roll, pouch, loin hanging, and scabbard all with the base colors. I also did some further lighter highlights on his beard with the “Sable Brown”.
Next I worked on the metallics, painting the decorations on his loin hanging, scabbard, shield, sword hilt, helmet, beer stein, and beads in his beard with Ceramcoat “Bronze”. I then went back over these and added highlights with Ceramcoat “14K Gold”. I then did final highlights on his armor and weapons with the “Silver Sterling”.
I let the figure sit all day, and that evening I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”. The next morning I flocked the base, and that afternoon I gave the figure a coat of Testor’s “Dullcote” spray varnish.
I like how this little guy turned out. I think there’s some nice character to the sculpt.
Next, I will be working on completing the Townsfolk set. And, tune in Thursday for another figure from Bones II.
Figure 141 of 265: Complete