This week I completed Finari, the Female Paladin, from the Klocke Classics set. This is the last figure from the set, so it joins the list of completed sets over on the right-hand column of the blog. I’m glad to put these figures behind me, as I found their delicate, detail-filled, sculpts to be intimidating. Sometimes I miss the fantasy figures of the 80’s; with just a tunic (or suit of armor), pants, belt, perhaps a pouch, boots, and weapon. 🙂
I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying. I then glued the figure to a 1" black-primed fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s White Glue.
I began painting by giving her a wash with thinned black ink with a tiny pin-point drop of dishsoap added to help it flow into the crevices and help show the sculpting outlines.
When the ink was dry, and I studied the sculpt, I realized I probably hadn’t needed to have inked the figure as she appeared to be dressed mostly in armor. So, I painted her body Black, and when the Black was dry I drybrushed the figure with Ceramcoat “Metallic Pewter”. I then went over this with a lighter drybrushing of Folk Art “Silver Sterling”.
I then painted her tights, or leotard, or pants…whatever it is she’s wearing on her bottom half, with Apple Barrel “Yellow”. Next, I did the waist hangings in GW “Blazing Orange”, and her corset-like vest with Accent “Mustard Seed”.
I painted the interior of the shield with Crafters Edition “Spice Brown”, then painted her belt, shield grips and sword grip with Accent “Real Umber”. I painted her skin with Apple Barrel “Apple Flesh”, and her hair with Folk Art “True Burgundy”.
When the paint had had time to dry, I gave all the non metallic parts a wash with Winsor Newton “Peat Brown” ink using a wet brush. While the ink was drying, I worked on the shield, painting the outer section with the “Yellow”, then painting the rim and center section with Ceramcoat “Bronze”, then painting the cross with Folk Art “Deep Tomato Red”. When that had had time to dry, I gave it a wash as well with the “Peat Brown” ink using a wet brush.
When the ink was dry, I did highlights on her pants, and her shield with the base Yellow". I then did highlights on her waist hangings with first the base “Blazing Orange”, and then with Americana “Tangerine”. I highlighted the vest/corset thing with the base “Mustard Seed”. And I did highlights on the cross on the shield with the base “Deep Tomato Red”.
I then drybrushed her hair with Apple Barrel “Burnt Sienna”, and then did lighter highlights on the hair with GW “Tanned Flesh”. I then painted her eyes, and did her lips with the “Tanned Flesh”, adding lip highlights with a bit of the “Tanned Flesh” mixed with White. Her lips are very poorly molded right were her face meets her armor and were very hard to get right. I followed up with doing highlights on her skin with the base “Apple Flesh”, and then added a little White to do finer highlights.
Next, I painted her sword hilt, and the crosses on her armor, with the “Bronze. When the bronze was dry, I went back and did highlights on all the bronze parts with Cermacoat "14K Gold”, including the shield. I then did specific highlights on the armor with the “Silver Sterling”. Lastly, I painted the white base with Ceramcoat “Walnut”
I let the figure sit overnight, and the next morning I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”. Later that afternoon I flocked the base. The next day I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote.
I’m very pleased with how this figure turned out; and am glad to end this set on a high note, as I don’t feel I really did some of the other Klocke Classics figures justice.