Mummy Captain: Figure 157 of 265

Chris Palmer

     This week I finished up the Mummy Captain figure from the “Who’s Your Mummy set.  This leaves me only one more mummy to paint from this set.  I figured I’d paint this one the same way I had been doing the other ones; but since this was a more impressive looking mummy, I thought I would make his bandages a whiter color to reflect perhaps better preservation or better materials used for his mummification.
      I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying.  I then glued the figure to a 1” black-primed fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s White Glue.

      I began by painting the all the bandages on the figure with  DecoArt “Light Antique White”.   I then painted any exposed skin with Folk Art “Poppy Seed”.

      Next, I painted the loin cloth, and head cloth with Americana “True Blue” .    I then painted the top of the headdress, and the hangings on each side of the headdress, as well as some of the decorations on the loin cloth, with Folk Art “Deep Tomato Red”.  The handgrips on his weapons I painted Americana “Asphaltum”.

     I followed with panting his weapons, collar piece, and assorted decorative adornments with Cermacoat “Bronze.  I then took some Reaper "Surf Aqua” and dabbed some areas of corrosion on to the weapons and the collar piece.

      When all the paint had had time to dry, I gave the entire figure a wash with  GW “Agrax Earthshade” wash, using a wet brush.

     When the wash had had time to dry, I started work on the highlights.   First, I added simple dot eyes with Americana “Olive Green” , but I found the sockets were too deep to really see the almost neon-green color of the paint.  So, I adde a drop of Iron Wind Metals “Mid Green” Ink (which also, is almost a neon green)to each socket. This seemd to brighten up the eye sockets a bit, and give them more of that glowing look.
       I then highlighted the skin with the base “Poppy Seed”, and I highlighted the wrappings with the base “Light Antique White”.   I highlighted the blue areas with the base “True Blue”, and the red parts with the base “Deep Tomato Red”.   The decorations that I intedned to be gold, that I had painted with the “Bronze”,  I highlighted with Ceramcoat “14K Gold”. I didn’t do the scythe or the collar piece as I was trying to distinguish between  functional items that were actually bronze, and ornamental items that were made of gold.   Lastly, I painted the figure’s white integral base with Ceramcoat Walnut.
     After everything had overnight to dry, I gave the figure a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”.  That afternoon I gave the base a coat of Elmer’s white glue, and dunked it in a sand mixture.   When the sand had dried, I gave it a coat of the “Walnut” paint that I had heavily thinned.  When this was dry, I drybrurshed the sand with first, Americana “Khaki Tan”, an then Americana “Buttermilk”.  I then added a little tuft of off-white grass to the base. That evening I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote.

    I’m really happy with how this fellow turned out.   My favorite of the mummies I’ve done so far.

Figure 157 of 265: Complete

via All Bones About It
from Tumblr

Author: hawksgameclub

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *