This week I painted Trista the White Wolf figure from the Heroes Set. When I started on her, I hadn’t yet looked up her name. So, when I decided to go with a red and yellow color scheme, I thought it would be neat to name her “The Red Wolf” and give her red hair. So for my purposes, she’s renamed as Trista the Red Wolf. 🙂
I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying. I then glued the figure to a 1" black-primed fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s White Glue.
Next, I painted her cloth hangings, and her shield, with Apple Barrel “Yellow”. I then painted the wolf head on her shoulder, her two scabbards, and the wolf design on her shield with GW “Blood Red”. I painted her face with DecoArt “Flesh”.
I followed with painting her belts and pouches with Folk Art “Dark Brown”, her sword grips with Accent “Real Umber”, and her gloves with GW “Vermin Brown”. I painted the back of her shield “Black”. I used Apple Barrel “Burnt Sienna” to paint her hair.
After the paint had time to dry, I gave all the non-metal parts a wash with some Winsor-Newton “Peat Brown” Ink using a wet brush.
When the ink wash had time to dry, I began on the highlights. First, I drybrushed her hair with the base “Burnt Sienna”. I then went back over it with a lighter highlight using American “Burnt Orange”. I then painted her eyes, (see my Eye Tutorial) and did her lips with Americana “Shading Flesh”, adding lip highlights with a bit of the “Shading Flesh” mixed with White. I followed up with doing highlights on her skin with the base “Flesh”, and then added a little White to do finer highlights.
Next, I highlighted all the yellow parts with first the base “Yellow”, and then with some DecoArt “Daffodil Yellow”. The red parts I highlighted with the base “Blood Red”. The belts and pouches were highlighted with Crafters Edition “Spice Brown”, and the gloves with the base “Vermin Brown”. I then went back and did spot highlights on her armor and sword with the “Silver Sterling”. Lastly, I painted his white integral base with Cermacoat “Walnut”.
I let the figure sit overnight, and the next morning I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”. Later that afternoon I flocked the base. The next day I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote.
I’m pleased with how this basic figure turned out. Nothing too challenging, but it makes for a nice fighter character figure,
Figure 161 of 265: Complete