Hero With 2 Weapons: Figure 167 of 265

Chris Palmer

    This week I painted this fellow with 2 weapons from the Heroes set.   I could not find him listed on the Reaper online store anywhere, so I could not find out his name.  If any of you can locate him on their website and provide me with a name and stock number I’d appreciate it. Did he never make it into their catalog?  He’s only shown as concept art in the Kickstarter page, so I don’t think he came from an existing mini.  Anyway, this fellow marks the end of the Heroes set, so it joins the list of completed sets over on the right.
    I wasn’t particularly inspired by this figure, so thought I would use him to experiment doing a figure in colored armor, and another one all in just one color scheme (The other all-one-color-scheme figure I did was the Dwarf Wizard, who I did all in grays).
     I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying.   I then glued the figure to a 1.25" black-primed fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s White Glue.

  I began by painting all the areas where he wears armor with Black.   Then, when the Black was dry, I drybrushed his armor with Folk Art “Metallic Blue Sapphire”. I then went over it a little lighter with Folk Art “Aqua Moire” Pearl acrylic (which kind of has a pearlescent sheen that looks somewhat like a metallic acrylic).

     Next, I painted his boots, belt, pouches, and gauntlets Black. I painted his hood and the tiny areas of leg that show with Crafters Acrylic “Navy Blue”. His kilt? skirt? pleated lower body garment? I painted Crafters Acrylic “Tropical Blue”.

    His scabbards I painted Americana “Wedgewood Blue”, and his face I painted Crafters Acrylic “Flesh”.  I then gave his pleated lower body garment a wash with Iron Wind Metals “Dark Blue” ink using a wet brush.  When this was dry, I painted his blades with Ceramcoat “Metallic Pewter”, and the hilts, belt buckle, and scabbard fittings with Ceramcoat “Bronze”.

       Next, I gave his face a wash with some Winsor-Newton “Peat Brown” Ink using a wet brush.  I then worked on highlighting the pleated garment with first the base “Tropical Blue”, and then the lighter Americana “Salem Blue”.   I then drybrushed the parts I had painted Black, as well as the “Navy Blue” hood, with Apple Barrel “Apple Scotch Blue” to highlight them.  I mixed a little of the “Salem Blue” into the “Wedgewood Blue” to do highlights to the scabbards.   I decided I wanted to add a little extra something to the boots, so I went back and painted the medallion on the front with the “Bronze”.
      By then the wash on the face was dry, so I did highlights on the face with the base “Flesh”, then added a little white and did a finer highlight on the nose. I did highlights on the blades with Folk Art “Silver Sterling”, and highlights on the parts I had painted “Bronze with Cermcoat "14K Gold”.  I finished up by adding detailed highlights to the armor with the “Aqua Moire” pearl acrylic.   Lastly, I painted the white base with Ceramcoat “Walnut”.
       After the figure had the overnight to dry, I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish” the next morning.  That afternoon I flocked the base, and the next morning I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote.

     I’m actually rather pleased with how this figure turned out.  I think the all-blue look, and the blue armor, came out looking pretty nifty.

Figure 167 of 265: Complete

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/1hVN0sA
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1U25x7B

Author: hawksgameclub

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *