Orc Marauders: Figures 194-197 of 266

Chris Palmer

   This week I took a break from working on the sets from the main Vampire Pledge group to work on the Orcpoclypse add-on set.   There are four each of five different poses in this set, for a total of 20 figures.  I decided to do them in groups of four like figures to speed up the painting process.  I also decided to try to do slight modifications to each of the four like figures in attempt to make them look slightly less cookie cutter.   In the photo below, the first figure is an unmodified original, the second has the bottom point of the shield cut off and re-glued at the top, the third has it’s weapon swapped with the scythe head from the Darkrasp, Evil Priest conversion I did, and the fourth had his arm cut at the forearm wristguard, and repositioned at an downward angle.  I had actually painted one of these Mauraders before when I was woking on the original 30 New Bones set back in 2013, so I already had a painting template I could follow.
     I prepped these figures in the usual way,  washing them in some dish soap, lightly scrubbing them with a soft toothbrush,  and then letting them dry. I then did the modifications to them as i outlined in the paragraph above. Next, I glued the four onto black primed 1.25 inch fender washers using Aleene’s Tacky glue.  I then glued them onto a tongue depressor, for ease of painting, using a couple drops of Elmer’s white glue each.

     I began by painting them entirely Black; and then when the Black was dry, I drybrushed them entirely with Folk Art Metallics “Gunmetal Grey”.  I then passed over them with a lighter drybrush of Folk Art Metallics “Silver Sterling”.

     I then worked on the fur “skirts”.  I painted the first orc’s Black, and the drybrushed it with Crafter’s Acrylic “Storm Cloud Grey”.  The second orc’s furs I painted Americana “Charcoal”, and drybrushed Americana “Mississippi Mud”.  The third’s was painted with Americana “Asphaltum” and drybrushed with Americana “Sable Brown”.  And, the fourth I used Americana “Zinc Grey”, and  dry drybrushed it Folk Art “Cloudy Day”.     I then painted their skin with with Aleene’s “Deep Khaki”. I then did all he belts, and straps with plain black .  Next, I painted the grips on the first two swords with the “Asphaltum”, and the second two with Accent “Real Umber”.  Then, I painted their teeth with Americana “Buttermilk”.  
     I then thought I’d add some individuality to some of their shields, and painted two of them with Folk Art “True Burgundy”; feathering it towards the Black drybrushed with “Gunmetal Grey” edges, trying to make it look like the paint had been badly worn around the edges.

     When everything had had time to dry, I gave the the figures a complete wash with GW “Agrax Earthshade” wash using a wet brush.

     When the wash had dried, I painted the eyes with the “Buttermilk”, going back and adding a black pupil in each eye. I also went back and highlighted their teeth with this color.  I then did highlights to their skin using the original “Deep Khaki”, then mixed a little of the “Deep Khaki” with Aleene’s “Dusty Khaki” to do lighter highlights.   I used the “Zinc Grey” to do highlighting on  the belts and straps.  Finally, I tidied up the swords, armor and chainmail with some of the “Gunmetal Grey”.
    After everything had dried overnight, I gave the figures a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish” and, when dry, flocked their bases.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed them with Testor’s Dullcote".

     I’m very pleased with how these guys turned out.  It was fun giving each one it’s own little bit of individuality.
    Up next, we start the Dark Elves set.

Figures 194-197: Complete

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/1JTGxeE
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1VCJXDd

Author: hawksgameclub

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *