This week I finished up the Goblin Command set from the Bones II, Expansion 1. I wanted to paint these up to match the Goblins from the Bones I Dungeon Attack set, that I had completed over two years ago, back in March of 2014. Luckily, this blog offers me the ability to go back and see exactly what colors I used previously, so matching is easy. 🙂
I prepped the figures in the usual way; soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them. I then glued the Leader figure to a black-primed 1" fender washer, and the Shaman figure to a 7/8" fender washer, both with Aleene’s Tacky glue. I then glued the washers to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue each.
I began by drybrushed the armor on the Leader with Folk At Metallics “Gunmetal Grey”. I then re-painted his fur collar Black; and when dry, drybrushed it with Americana “Neutral Grey”, followed with highlights of Folk Art “Platinum Grey”. Likewise, I drybrushed the fur on the Shaman with Nicole’s “Brown”, and then did highlgiths with Americana “Bleached Sand”. I then painted their skin with Accent “Golden Oxide”.
Next, I painted the tunic on the Leader with Apple Barrel “raw Sienna”, and his cape with Ceramcoat “Black Cherry”. On the Shama, I painted his top jerkin with Americana, “Raw Umber”, and his loin cloth with Crafter’s Acrylic “Bright Blue”.
Then, after the paint had a bit to dry, I gave both figures a wash with Winsor-Newton “Peat Brown” ink using a wet brush. When the wash was dry, I painted their eyes, and highlighted their teeth and claws with the “Buttermilk. Then I highlighted their skin with the original "Golden Oxide”.
My next step ws to highlight the Leader’s tunic with Crafter’s Acrylic “Orange Spice”, and his cape with Crafter’s Acrylic “Deep Red”. I did the highlights on his gloves with Ceramcoat “Territorial Beige”. On the Shaman, I highlighted his loin cloth with some Ceramcoat “Denim Blue”, and his Jerkin with the “Brown”. While I had the “Denim Blue” out, I used I to highlight his staff and the feather he has hanging from his waist. I highlighted his hat with Americana “Zinc”, and used this color to paint the Leader’s sword, and the Shaman’s wrist bands. I highlighted the stone bases with Crafter’s Acrylic “Storm Cloud Grey”, and then highlighted the spider with Americana “Sable Brown”.
At this point I worked on the metallics. I painted the bay atop the staff with Ceramcoat “Bronze”, and then highlighted it with Ceramcoat “14K Gold”. I painted the Leader’s sword, and the fittings on his dagger and sheath with the “Gunmetal Grey”, and then did highlights with Folk Art “Silver Sterling”, on the sword, dagger, and the Leader’s armor.
After everything had dried overnight, I gave the figures a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish” and, when dry, flocked their bases. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed them with Testor’s Dullcote".
I like how these Goblins came out. It will be nice to have a couple character types to add to my “Bones I” Goblin horde.