Knowing that I would be short of painting time last week with my trip to Nashcon near Nashville, TN, this past weekend, I prepped one of the easy to paint figures from the Townsfolk II Set; the Blacksmith.
I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it. I then glued the figure to a black-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue.
I began by painting his skin with Americana “Shading Flesh”. I then painted his pants with Folk Art “Dapple Grey”, and his apron with Ceramcoat “Territorial Beige”.
Next, I painted his boots with Americana “Bittersweet Chocolate”, and then did the soles and the tops with Nicole’s “Brown”. After that, I painted his arm guard with Americana “Terra Cotta”. I then worked on the stump, painting the interior wood with Americana “Khaki Tan”, and the bark with Americana “Asphaltum”.
I then painted the metal pieces with Americana “Zinc”, and the handle to hammer with Crafter’s Edition “Spice Brown”. I thought I’d experiment with doing some arm hair on this guy, so I mixed some of the “Shading Flesh” with some Black and painted his arms and the backs of his hands with a series of short hashmark strokes.
I next painted his tongs and hammer head wit Folk Art Metallics “Gunmetal Grey”, and the anvil with Accent “Princely Pewter”. I let the figure dry for a while, and then I gave the entire model a heavy wash with GW “Badab Black” wash. I wanted him to look real dirty and sooty. When the wash was dry, I painted his hair black, and then highlighted it with a mix of the “Zinc” and Ceramcoat “Denim Blue”. I then painted his eyes, and afterwards highlighted his skin with the base “Shading Flesh”. I realized I did things out of order, as I should have done the arm hair after I did the highlights.
It was now time to finish up the rest of the highlighting. I highlighted his pants first using the base “Dapple Grey”. I then highlighted his apron using Folk Art “Butter Pecan”. Next, I did his boots with Folk Art “Dark Brown”, and the soles and tops with Americana “Sable Brown”. I also used the “Sable Brown” to highlight the hammer handle. I decided the stump looked good as it was, so didn’t add any highlights to it; and then wrapped up by doing highlights on the anvil, tongs, and hammer with the “Gunmetal Grey”. Lastly, I painted the white base with Ceramcoat “Walnut”.
After everything had dried overnight, I gave the figure a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish” and, when dry, used some white glue on the base and sprinkled it with some fine gravel. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed him with Testor’s Dullcote".
I like how he tuned out, though he ended up appearing a little startled looking! 🙂