This past week I knew I was going to be short of time again, with just having returned from Nashcon, and the holiday on Monday; so I picked out one of the remaining figures from the Familiars set: the Fire Elemental.
I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it. I then glued the figure to a white-primed 7/8" fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue.
Rather than go with the usual red fire, I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to again try the green fire I had used on the Kobold Shaman a couple weeks ago. I began by paitning the entire figure with Nicole’s “Neon Green”. When dry, I gave the entire figure a wash with Iron Wind Metals “Dark Green” ink, using a wet brush.
When the ink wash was dry, I mixed a little of the “Neon Green” with some White, and added highlights. I then started working outwards toward the tips of the flames with slightly thinned Crafter’s Acrylic “Holiday Green”.
Next, I added a further outer layer with Americana “Leaf Green”, and lastly, I painted the tips of the flames with Accent “Forest Green”. I also used the “Forest Green” to paint the elemental’s eye sockets. Then I went back and added eyes with Folk Art “Metallic Emerald Green”. Lastly, I painted the figure’s base White.
When everything had overnight to dry, I gave the figure a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish” early the next morning. Midday, I flocked the white areas with Woodland Scenics “Snow” flock and late that afternoon I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote.
Well, I’m generally pleased. I’m not sure if I like it with the empty hollow eyes, or whether a pinpoint highlight in each might be an improvement.
Figure 221 of 266: Complete