This past week I finished up the last four figures from the Orcpocalypse Add-On set; the Orc Hunter figures. This set now joins the list of completed sets over on the right.
I prepped these figures in the usual way, washing them in some dish soap, lightly scrubbing them with a soft toothbrush, and then letting them dry. Then, like with the other figures from this set, I did conversions to some of them. Looking at the row below: The first orc had the right forearm from one of the Bones Gnolls added, and the left forearm from a GW Ogre. The second has had his hands drilled out and a cut-down GW lance added. The third orc has had the sword blade from one of the previous Bones Orc conversions added in place of the original spear head. The fourth orc is an untouched original, droopy spear and all. Note that any hard plastic part I was using, I pre-primed with flat black spray paint before gluing it on. Also, I used Gorilla Super Glue to affix all conversions.
After the conversions were done, I glued the four onto black primed 1.25 inch fender washers using Aleene’s Tacky glue. I then glued them onto a tongue depressor, for ease of painting, using a couple drops of Elmer’s white glue each.
I began by painting them entirely Black; and then when the Black was dry, I drybrushed them entirely with Folk Art Metallics “Gunmetal Grey”.
I then painted their skin with with Aleene’s “Deep Khaki”. Next, I painted their cloth “skirts” hanging under the chainmail: Orc one with Crafter’s Acrylic “Orange Spice”, Orc two with Americana “Neutral Grey”, Orc three with Black, and Orc four with Folk Art "Dapple Grey".
Next, I painted the boots of the first two, and then belt and neck straps of the second two, with Americana “Raw Umber”. I then painted the belts and neck straps of the first two, and the boots of the second two, with Black. After that, I painted all the forearms wraps and straps with Anita’s “Burnt Sienna”, and on the first Orc I painted the bones on his right forearm as well as his morning star’s handle with FolkArt “Barn Wood”. I then painted the cord holding the bones to his wrist guard using Ceramcoat “Territorial Beige”. I painted all the spear shafts with Crafter’s Acrylic “Cinnamon Brown”, and the streamer coming off the third Orc’s spear with Reaper MSP Bones “Cinnamon Red”. I painted all their teeth with Americana “Buttermilk”.
I let everything dry for a while, then I gave them all a complete wash with Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash using a wet brush. When the wash was dry, I painted their eyes, using the “Buttermilk” for their “whites”, and then I highlighted their teeth with Crafter’s Acrylic “Light Antique White”.
Next, I highlighted their skin with some of the “Deep Khaki” mixed with a little Aleene’s “Dusty Khaki”. I highlighted the tops of the spear shafts with Folk Art “Dark Brown”. I then worked on highlighting their “skirts”: for Orc one I used the “Orange Spice” mixed with a little Americana “Tangerine”, for Orc two I used Folk Art “Rock Gray”, for Orc three I used Citadel “The Fang”, and for Orc four I used some of the “Dapple Grey” mixed with a little Folk Art “Gray Green”. I highlighted the streamer hanging from the third Orc’s spear using Folk Art “Deep Tomato Red”. On the first orc, I highlighted the bones on his wrist guard and morning star handle with Americana “Bleached Sand”. Finally, I went back and did highlights on all the metal using Folk Art “Silver Sterling”.
After everything had dried overnight, I gave the figures a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish” and, when dry, flocked their bases. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed them with Testor’s Dullcote".
I’m happy how they turned out, and happy to have completed this big set. Below is a picture of all the Orcs from the Bones I Core Set and the Orcpocalypse Set.