Marsh Troll: Figure 248 of 266

Chris Palmer

     This past week I started the Swamp Things set and painted the Marsh Troll figure.
      I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying.  I then glued the troll to a 2" black-primed fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue.  The 2" washer was big enough to just hand hold, so I didn’t glue it to a tongue depressor.

     I began by painting his belly and the underside of chin, legs and arms with Americana “Bleached Sand”.  I then painted the rest of his skin with Nicole’s “Brown”, and the scales on his back, arms and legs with Apple Barrel “Apple Black Green”.    Next, I painted his rear loin cloth fur with Americana “Asphaltum, and the front loin cloth with Americana "Zinc”.  On the back one, I painted the part that was folded down using Ceramcoat “Territorial Beige”.  I painted his pouch with Americana “Terra Cotta”, and the shrunken head or skull (whatever it is) with Folk Art “Butter Pecan”. The cord around his waist I painted with Folk Art “Gray Green”.  I followed that with painting his club with Americana “Mississippi Mud”.

          I then used the “Gray Green” again to paint the cord on the club. After that I painted his wrist wraps with Folk Art Barn Wood", and then did his teeth with Americana “Buttermilk”.  I then painted his claws with Apple Barrel “Rock Grey”.

   Next, I painted his front loin cloth to look like fish scales by using some  Folk Art Pearl “Aqua Moire”.  I then let everything dry for a while and then gave the entire figure a wash with Citadel “Nuln Oil” wash using a wet brush.   When the wash was dry, I painted his eyes, and then highlighted his teeth with Crafter’s Acrylic “Light Antique White”.

     Next, I highlighted his skin with Americana “Sable Brown”, and then highlighted his underbelly with the base “Bleached Sand”. I then drybrushed his scales with Duncan “Olive Green”.   After that, I drybrushed his fur loincloth with Americana “Khaki Tan”, and then used that color to highlight the edges of the underside flap that hangs over the top.  I then moved around to the front and highlighted the overhang flap on the top of the fish scales with Crafter’s Acrylic “Storm Cloud Grey”.  While doing that, I noticed that there was a bag tucked into his belt at the corner of the fish scale flap, so I took a moment and pointed hit with Accent “Golden Harvest” and then highlighted it with the “Butter Pecan”.  I also highlighted the other pouch with the base “Terra Cotta, and the Skull/shrunken head with the "Khaki Tan”.  The wrist wraps I highlighted with the base “Barn Wood”, and his claws I highlighted with the base “Rock Grey”.
     I then moved to the club and carefully drybrushed the tips of the thorn spikes with Black.  Then as carefully as I could I tried to drybrush the base wood of the club with some of the “Barn Wood” color.  I then highlighted the cord wrapped around the club, as well as the cord at his waist with the base “Gray Green”.   I finished up by drybrushing the fish scales with Folk Art “Silver Sterling”,  then I painted his integral base with Ceramcoat “Walnut”.
           I let the figure dry over night and the next day I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”. When dry, I flocked the base then glued on a small stick and some grass tufts. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor’s Dullcote".    

    I’m happy with how this big fella came out.  He won’t win any contests, as it was a busy week and I ended up cutting some corners; but for the most part I think he is a very serviceable tabletop figure.

Figure 248 of 266: Complete

via All Bones About It
from Tumblr

Author: hawksgameclub

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *