This past week I worked on the second half of a unit of 10 Squogs to add to my old Poison Dart Frog Army. I thought the Squogs would fit right in with the rest of the troops, as some sort of more tribal cousins.
I started with the ones that came from the Bones 2 Kickstarter in the Swamp Things set, and ordered a couple more packs from Reaper to bring the total up to 10 figures.
Last week I completed the first five Squogs, which were the version of the figure that is armed with a trident.
I prepped these figures in the usual way; soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them.
My plan was to do some conversions on two of the basic models to turn one into a standard bearer and another into a unit leader. Last week when I did the trident-armed ones I converted one into the standard bearer; this time I did the leader conversion by cutting down one of the spears and reusing the spear blade to make a sword. I did this by by gluing the spear blade directly to the figures hand so it looked like a short sword. I also cut his right arm at the elbow and repositioned it so it would look like it was more naturally holding a sword. Lastly, I glued on a skull helmet that I had removed from an extra Mudcroak, Squog Shaman, figure I had.
I then glued the 5 figures (including the converted leader one, to black-primed 1" fender washers with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figures to a 2 tongue depressors with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue under each washer.
My plan was to try and make them look like this kind of Strawberry Poison Dart frog like I did with the last group:
The converted leader figure can be seen on the far right.
I began by giving all the figures a wash with heavily thinned Reaper “Brown Liner” using a wet brush. When that was dry, I painted the bodies with Ceramcoat “Opaque Red”. I then painted the shell armor with Americana “Bleached Sand”. After that, I went back and painted their hands and feet with Americana “Dove Grey”.
Next, I painted the grass skirts with Duncan “Olive Green”, and then painted the little diaper-like bottoms they’re wearing with Crafter’s Acrylic “Bright Yellow”. I then painted the back side of the shields, and the spears, with Americana “Sable Brown”. After that, I painted the teeth with Crafter’s Acrylic “Light Antique White” and the skull helmet on the leader with Folk Art “Barn Wood”.
I then painted all the straps and ties with Americana “Terra Cotta”, and then I painted the heads of the spears the armbands, the dagger fittings and the leader’s sword with the “Terra Cotta” as well. After that, I painted the pouch on his left hip with Americana Mississippi Mud". I then went back and repainted the heads of the spears the armbands, the dagger fittings and the leader’s sword with Ceramcoat “Bronze”. After everything had a while to dry, I then applied a wash using Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash using a wet brush.
When the wash was dry, I painted the eyes with Accent “Real Umber”, and then gave them Black pupils. I then highlighted the skin with the base “Opaque Red”, and the hands and feet with Crafter’s Acrylic “Light Antique White”. I then painted the spots on their skin with the Black, and afterward painted their shields Black as well. Next, I highlighted their teeth with White, and then used the White to accent some of the carved lines on each shield’s face. Then I highlighted the shell armor with the base “Bleached Sand”. After that, I highlighted their loin cloth with Crafter’s Acrylic “Daffodil Yellow”, and the grass skirt with Americana “Reindeer Moss Green”. I then painted highlights on all the straps with Reaper MSP “Pumpkin Orange”. I moved to their spears next, highlighting the shafts with Americana “Khaki Tan”, and the spear heads (and sword) with the base “Bronze”. Lastly, I highlighted their pouches, as well as the skull helmet, with Americana “Barn Wood”, and then painted their integral bases with Ceramcoat “Walnut”.
I let the figures dry overnight and the next day I gave them a coat of Folk Art “Satin Varnish”. When dry, I flocked the bases. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed them with Testor’s Dullcote". When the Dullcote was dry, I went back and painted their eyes with Americana “DuraClear Gloss” varnish.
And here’s the whole unit of ten, including the five I did last week.
Coming up this week, I will be working on the last of the Bones 2 Squog figures: Mudcroak, Squog Shaman, to post next Monday.