This past week I painted up the Boneflail, Gnoll Cleric, figure from the Bones II Gnolls & Bugbears set. This is my third Gnoll to complete as I work my way through the ones from the Bones II Kickstarter in the eventual expectation to play the scenarios in the Frostgrave “Into the Breeding Pits” supplement book.
I began by giving the figure a wash with heavily thinned Reaper “Grey Liner” using a wet brush. When that was dry, I painted his fur (or is it supposed to be a her?) Folk Art "Gray Green", and then did his/her mane, and the end of the tail, with Apple Barrel “Burnt Sienna”. I then painted the tunic with Aleene’s “Deep Khaki”.
Next, I pained the belt with Reaper MSP “Turkey Brown”, and then painted the side pouch and its strap, as well as the right arm wrist guard, with Citadel “Snake Bite Leather. I then painted the face of the shield with Folk Art "Barnyard Red” and the inside of the shield with Folk Art “Dark Brown”. I also used the “Dark Brown” to paint the rear pouch, and then I painted the little sack tucked in the belt with Americana “Mississippi Mud”. After that, I painted the fringe on the tunic with Crafter’s Acrylic “Bright Yellow”, then used the “Bright Yellow” to paint a bone deign on the shield.
I painted the morning star and the arm band with Folk Art Metallic’s “Gunmetal Grey”, and then when everything had a while to dry, I gave the entire figure a wash with Citadel “Nuln Oil” wash using a wet brush. When the wash was dry, I drybrushed the fur with Folk Art “Porcelain White”, and then highlighted the mane and tail fringe with Americana “Shading Flesh”. After that, I painted the eyes and the muzzle Black.
Next, I highlighted the tunic with Aleene’s Dusty Khaki, and then highlighted all the bones with the “Bleached Sand”, and the teeth with Crafter’s Acrylic “Light Antique White”. I then highlighted the side pouch and wrist guard with Ceramcoat “Maple Sugar Tan”, and then I did the highlights on the shield and all the little bone ties with Crafter’s Acrylic Orange Spice.“ After that, I highlighted all the browns with Americana "Sable Brown”, and then did the stitching on the shield and the back bottom of the tunic with Americana “Khaki”.
When I was done painting the figure, I used some white glue to glue a little sand to the base. When this was dry, I painted it all Black. When the Black was dry, I drybrushed it with some of the “Neutral Grey”, and then some Duncan “Slate Grey”.
I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave him/her a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor’s Dullcote".
I’m happy with how this figure came out; though I have to say all these gnolls so far, particularly this one, have had a tone of flash on the mold lines that I’m not used to seeing on Bones.