This past week I took a break from Gnolls and worked on another beastman figure for our upcoming Frostgrave game: Bloodhoof, Minotaur Barbarian, from the Beast Mode set.
I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it. I then glued the figure to a black-primed 1.5" fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue.
Next, I painted all his straps and one of his belts with Americana “Raw Umber”. I painted the other belt with Folk Art “Teddy Bear Brown”, and then painted the axe handle and a patch of material on his shoulder with Folk Art “Dark Brown”. After that, I painted his horns with Folk Art Platinum Grey", and then painted his hooves, and the base with Americana “Charcoal Grey”. I worked on the base colors for the metal next, painting his axe head and some of his armor bits with Americana “Zinc”, and then painting his nose ring, arm band, and some of the other armor with Accent “Mustard Seed”.
I then repainted the parts I had painted the “Zinc” using Folk Art Metallics “Gunmetal Grey”; and repainted the parts I had painted with the “Mustard Seed using Ceramcoat "Bronze”. Then, when everything had a while to dry, I gave the entire figure a wash with Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash using a wet brush. When the wash was dry, I highlighted his skin with a mix of Americana “terra Cotta” and the “Vermin Brown”. After that, I highlighted his head and lower legs with Americana “Sable Brown”. I painted his eyes with Accent “RealUmber”, and added tiny white dots to each.
Next, I highlighted his loin cloth with Folk Art “Butter Pecan”, and then highlighted the straps, and the axe handle, with Americana “Mississippi Mud”. I also blended in some black to the ends of his horns. I then worked on the metallics; highlighting the axe and armor that I had originally painted with the “Gunmetal Grey” using Ceramcoat “Metallic Silver”, and the parts I had painted with the “Bronze”, using Ceramcoat “14K Gold”.
When I was done painting the figure, I used some white glue to glue a little sand to the base. When this was dry, I painted the sand with the “Charcoal Grey”, and when the paint was dry, I drybrushed the base with some of the Territorial Beige", and then some Americana “Antique White”.
I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave him a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed him with Testor’s Dullcote".
I like how he turned out. It’s nothing exciting, but a nice solid gaming figure. I’m going to try to finish up his partner the Minotaur Hero figure next week before returning to the Gnolls.