War Dog: Bones 3 Figure

Chris Palmer

    This past week I finished up the War Dog from the original Bones 3 Core Set.  I had long needed a proper War Dog for my Frostgrave warbands, having pressed the Bones II wild dog into service time and time again.  So I was excited to finally get this figure and be able to paint it up.
         I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.    I then glued the figure to a black-primed 1.25" fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue.

    After studying some pictures of Mastiffs online,  I began by painting the whole dog with Folk Art “Butter Pecan”.  Then, while the “Butter Pecan” was still wet, I blended in some Americana “Antique White” on to his belly, rump, and the inside of his legs.  I followed this with adding some Americana “Bleached Sand” to the center of the mix.  As you can see in the picture, I started painting his harness, but realized it would be easier to drybrush his coat if the harness wasn’t painted yet, so I stopped.

     After his coat was was dry, I gave the entire figure a wash with Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash using a wet brush.  When the wash was dry, I drybrushed his coat with the “Bleached Sand”.   Next, I painted his muzzle and eye sockets with Black, and then applied some thinned Black to the outside of his ears.

     Next, I painted the harness straps with Crafter’s Acrylic “Cinnamon Brown”.  I then drybrushed the muzzle with some Americana “Raw Umber”, and then added some more detailed highlights with Americana “Neutral Grey”.  I repainted the eyes Black, and gave each one a small White highlight dot.

     I went over the harness straps with a little of the “Agrax Earthshade” wash along the edges, and while that was drying I painted the armor plate, clasps, and chain with Americana “Zinc”.  I then went back and highlighted the straps with Folk Art “Teddy Bear Brown”.  Next, I painted over the “Zinc” with some Folk Art Metallics “Gunmetal Grey”, and then aded highlights with Ceramcoat “Metallic Silver”.
     When I was done painting the figure, I used some white glue to glue a little sand to the base.  When this was dry, I painted the sand and the figure’s own base with Black.  When the Black was dry, I drybrushed the bases with some of the “Neutral Grey”, and then some Americana “Dove Grey”.
      I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave him a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor’s Dullcote".

Here he is already pressed into service in a Frostgrave game we had on Saturday.

     I’m really pleased with how this fellow turned out, though he might look a little more dopey and adorable than fierce and mighty!  🙂

via All Bones About It http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2017/06/war-dog-bones-3-figure.html
from Tumblr http://tumblr.hawks-club.org/post/162276748698

Author: hawksgameclub

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *