Last week, I posted my article for the conversion work I did on my Shipwreck Revenant, from the Bones 3 Titans of the Tide add-on set. Since then I have been busy painting the model, and here are the results.
To go way back to the beginning, the first thing I did before I even started the conversion work, was to soak the parts in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then I gave them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsed and dried them. I then did all the conversions.
My first step to begin the painting process was to spray all the parts with Krylon with Fusion “Flat Black” spray paint.
After the Black primer was dry, I drybrushed the whole model with Americana “Charcoal Grey”, and then Americana “Mississippi Mud”.
I then did a final dry brush of Folk Art “Barn Wood”.
I decided to paint this model in parts rather than glue it together first and then trying to paint it as one piece. I selected the left arm to begin with. When all the the drybrushing had a little while to dry, I began by applying some thinned ink splotches here and there to represent various algae and slimes. I used Iron Wind Metal “Orange”, “Chestnut Brown”, “Dark Green”, and “Deep Turquoise”.
When the ink was dry, I base coated the coral with Crafter’s Acrylic “Cherry Blossom Pink”, Ceramcoat “Maple Sugar Tan”, and Americana “Buttermilk”. I painted the lantern with Americana Sea Breeze, and the cannon with Ceramcoat “Walnut”. The rope was painted Ceramcoat “Territorial Beige”.
When the paint was dry, I gave the parts I had just painted (coral, cannon, lantern, rope) all a wash with Citadel “Nuln Oil” wash. When the wash was dry, I highlighted the coral with Apple Barrel “Apple Light Pink”, the “Buttermilk”, and Crafter’s Acrylic “Light Antique White”. The cannon I applied some Duncan Aged Metal “Iron”, and then I highlighted the rope with Folk Art “Butter Pecan. Next, I drybrushed the lamp with some Ceramcoat "Bronze”, and afterwards painted some broken glass in the panels of the lamp with White edges and Folk Art “Cloudy Day” streaks. I also decided everything might look better if I tinted some of the wood a different shade so it didn’t all look the same color, so I gave the cannon mount a wash with some Citadel “Agrax Earthshade”. wash
I basically repeated all the above steps for the other arm as well. On this arm there were some barnacles as well, which I base coated with Americana “Dove Grey”, and then highlighted with White.
I then moved on to the lower body. I also used some Winsor Newton “Peat Brown” Ink here to give some of the wood a different shade, as well as the"Agrax Earthshade". And, on this piece there were some starfish which I painted with Ceramcoat “Raw Sienna”, and some little knobby shellfish or coral of some kind which I painted Citadel “The Fang”, and a couple larger shellfish which I painted Folk Art Pearl “Aqua Moire”. Also on this piece I painted some of the coral areas with Folk Art “Hunter Green” to (hopefully) look like seaweed.
After the “Nuln Oil” wash was dry, besides doing the highlighting I had already listed with the left arm above; I highlighted the starfish with Citadel “Bronze Flesh”, the knobby shellfish with the “Cloudy Day”, and the seaweed with Crafter’s Acrylic “Holiday Green”.
I’m really happy with this project and how it turned out. Unfortunately it’s one of those models that don’t really photograph well, but are better seem in person. The way the long arms stick out to the front really blocks a lot of the good camera angles, and look weird jutting straight at the camera when photographed from the front straight on. I also noticed the whole thing is a little top heavy from a composition standpoint. I think if I were to do this model again, I might remove a couple sections from the middle and back end of the harpoon/anchor attachment, just to help bring it in a bit, and help it look less unwieldy.
via All Bones About It http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2017/08/painting-my-bones-3-shipwreck-revenant.html
from Tumblr http://tumblr.hawks-club.org/post/163905405313