Wild West Wizard of Oz Tinman: Bones 3 Figure

Chris Palmer

     This past week I started the Bones 3 Wild West Wizard of Oz set and did the Tinman mini.  I don’t know what particularly makes this set Wild West; it seems to me it would fit in in any kind of Steampunk, VSF, Pulp, or Post-Apocalyptic setting.
     These figures were actually cast in the newer grey Bones material, and are a bit stiffer than normal Bones.

       I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.    I then glued the figure to a black-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue.

      I began by painting the entire figure, and his base, with Black.   When the Black was dry, I drybrushed the figure with  Folk Art Metallics “Gunmetal Grey”.  I then passed over it with a lighter drybrush of Ceramcoat “Metallic Silver”

     I applied a little Iron Wind Metals “Medium Blue” Ink to the eye sockets, and then that was dry, I pianted the eyes with Crafter’s Acrylic “Tropical Blue”.  I then did pupils with Crater’s Acrylic “Cool Blue”, and then added White dots in the center  of the pupils.
     Next, I painted his pendant and the chain it is on, as well as some of the rods in his abdomen with Ceramcoat “Bronze”.  I then painted the pendant with Ceramcoat “Opaque Red”, and did a shadow on it with Ceramcoat “BlackCherry”, and a highlight with Crafter’s Acrylic “Tutti Frutti”.  I finished the pendant by doing small White highlight dots on it.

     I then went back and highlighted the “Bronze” pendant, chain and rods, with Ceramcoat “14K Gold”, and after that I went back and did more specific highlights on his armor with the “Metallic Silver”.
     When I was done painting the figure, I used some white glue to glue a mixture I made of some fine brown sand, and courser black sand to the base.  When this was dry, I drybrushed the sand and the figure’s own base with Ceramcoat “Territorial Beige”, and then with some Americana “Antique White”.  When dry, I glued on some bits of grass tufts.
      I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave him a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor’s Dullcote".

     I’m really pleased with how this figure turned out, particularly the glowing blue eyes.  Next up, I will be working on the Scarecrow.

via All Bones About It http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2017/08/wild-west-wizard-of-oz-tinman-bones-3.html
from Tumblr http://tumblr.hawks-club.org/post/164175962583

Author: hawksgameclub

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *