Undead Halfling Rogue & Conversion: Bones 3 Figures

Chris Palmer

    This past week I finished working on my current project of painting the Elves, Dwarves, and Halflings from my two Bones 3 Add-On Undying Lords sets; and painted the Halfling Rogue; one basic one, and one I modified by changing the sword  to a spear, and removing the axe.  There are still the Undying Lord of Death, the Undying Minotaur and Undying Lizardfolk from these sets; but they will all have to wait for another time.
     To read last week’s post where I painted the two Undead Dwarf Fighters, click here: Undead Dwarf Fighters.  To see my two Undead Elf Archers from two weeks ago, click here: Undead Elf Archers
      I prepped these figures in the usual way; soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them.   I then did the conversion work, and then glued the figures to black-primed 7/8" fender washers with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figures to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue under each washer.

       I began by painting the metal parts, and skeletal parts with Black.  I then drybrushed the skeletal parts with Americana “Antique White”, followed by a light drybrushing of Crafter’s Acrylic “Light Antique White”

     Next, I painted the shirt on the lefthand one with Americana “Khaki Tan”, and then did his pants with Crafter’s Acrylic “Forest Green”, and his cape with Aleene’s “Deep Khaki”.  I then moved on to the righthand one, and did his shirt with Accent “Golden Harvest”, his pants with Vallejo “USA Olive Drab”, and his cape with Anita’s “Burnt Sienna”.

      I then painted the spear shaft, and axe handle with Americana “Mississippi Mud”, and then painted all the metal parts with Americana “Bittersweet Chocolate”.  I also used this color to paint the grip on the sword.  Then after everything had a while to dry, I gave the two figures a wash with Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash, doing as best I could to avoid getting any on the skeleton parts.

     Once the wash dried, I began highlighting.  I worked on the lefthand one first, highlighting his shirt with Americana “Bleached Sand”, his pants with Americana “Jade Green”, and his cape with Apple Barrel “Apple Maple Syrup”.  Next I did the righthand one, highlighting his shirt with Apple Barrel “Lemon Chiffon”, his pants with Ceramcoat “Territorial Beige”, and his cape with Americana “Burnt Orange”.  Next, I worked on the rust effects on the weapons, first using Duncan Aged Metal “Iron” to apply some reddish rust patches, and then applying some Accent “Golden Oxide”.  I also did a little highlighting on the spear shaft with Folk Art “Barn Wood”.  Lastly,  I painted their integral bases with Americana “Charcoal Grey”.
     When I was done painting the figures, I used some white glue to glue a mixture I made of some fine brown sand, and courser black sand to the base.  When this was dry, I drybrushed the sand and the figures’ own bases with Ceramcoat “Territorial Beige”, and then with some Americana “Antique White”.  When dry, I glued on some bits of grass tufts.
      I let the figures dry overnight and the next day I gave them a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed them with Testor’s Dullcote"

     I’m really pleased with how these guys turned out.  I’m looking forward to having a chance to use all these different skeletons in a game at some point.

via All Bones About It http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2017/10/undead-halfling-rogue-conversion-bones.html
from Tumblr http://tumblr.hawks-club.org/post/166218297533

Author: hawksgameclub

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *