Fly Demons Painted as Giant Bees: Bones 2 Figures

Chris Palmer

   This past week I painted two of the Fly Demons from the Bones 2 Lesser Demons set, as part of my effort to start assembling the creatures I will need for next year’s Ghost Archipelago Campaign.  The rules’ creature list calls for a couple of Giant Wasps; but not having any giant wasp figures on hand, I figure the Bones Fly Demons I had would fit the bill well enough if I painted them as Giant Bees.
      I prepped these figures in the usual way; soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them.   I then did the conversion work, and then glued the figures to black-primed 1" fender washers with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figures to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue under each washer.

      I began by painting the bees’ heads, undersides, and alternating stripes on their abdomens using Black.  When the Black was dry, I drybrushed it with Americana “Neutral Grey”.  I then painted the unpainted alternate stripes on their abdomens with Apple Barrel “Yellow”.

      Next, I painted the wings with Americana “Dove Grey”.  Then after everything had a while to dry, I gave their wings and the yellow stripes a wash with some thinned Winsor-Newton “Chestnut Brown” ink.  When the wash was dry,  I painted the top spine of each wing with Black and then painted the veins within each wing using some Accent “Real Umber mixed with Black.

     I then painted the center of each wing panel with the"Dove Grey”, and did highlights on the mouth and tongue(?) with Crafter’s Acrylic “Storm Cloud Grey”.  Next, I repainted the eyes with Black to remove any drybrushing that got on them.   After that, I drybrushed the yellow abdomen stripes with some Crafter’s Acrylic “Daffodil Yellow”, and lastly I did some White highlight dots in the eyes..

     It was now time to work on the base.  First, I drybrushed the the rocky outcroppings with the “Neutral Grey”, and then with some Folk Art “Porcelain White”.  Next, I drybrushed the log with Americana “Raw Umber”, and then with some Americana “Khaki Tan”.  Lastly, I painted the skulls with some Americana “Antique White”, and then drybrushed them with some Crafter’s Acrylic “Light Antique White”.
    I then worked on the bases; drybrushing the stones with  Americana “Zinc”, then Americana “Neutral Grey”, and lastly Folk Art “Porcelain White”.  After that, I drybrushed the log with Americana “Raw Umber”, then some Americana “Mississippi Mud”, and lastly, some Americana “Khaki Tan”.   Finally, I drybrushed the skulls with some Americana “Antique White, and then some of the "Light Antique White”.
      I let the figures dry overnight and the next morning I gave them a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish. When that was dry, I flocked their bases. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed them with Testor’s Dullcote".

     I’m generally happy with how these turned out.  I think they made the conversion to giant bees pretty well.

via All Bones About It
from Tumblr

Author: hawksgameclub

0 thoughts on “Fly Demons Painted as Giant Bees: Bones 2 Figures

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *