This past week I painted the Merrow figure from the Bones 3 Stoneskull Expansion set.
I prepped this figure in the usual way; soaking the parts in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it. When dry, I glued his arms to his body, and when dry, I trimmed his base a little and then glued the figure to a black-primed 1.5" fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue. I then placed the figure in my painting grip.
As I looked at the figure, I decided I wanted to play up his aquatic nature, and thought it might be fun to paint him like a frog; and then I thought it might also be neat to do him in wild colors like a Poison Dart Frog. Looking at pictures of colorful frogs, I decided in the end to copy the coloration of a Red-eyed Tree Frog.
I began by painting his body, except his chest and stomach, with Americana “Festive Green”. When dry, I gave it a wash with Iron Wind Metals “Dark Green” ink. When the ink was dry, I drybrushed him with some Crafter’s Acrylic “Wild Green”, and some Reaper MSP Bones “Dungeon Slime”.
Next, I painted his chest and belly with Americana “Bleached Sand”, his hands and feet with Crafter’s Acrylic “Pure Pumpkin, and his fins with Crafter’s Acrylic "Tropical Blue”.
Next, I painted the roping on his weapon with Folk Art “Butter Pecan”, and then I painted the little shells and baubles on his netting an assortment of about five different colors that I just grabbed randomly off on my table. When everything was dry, I gave his feet and hands a wash with some Citadel “Reikland Fleshshade” wash. When that wash was dry, I then gave a wash to his netting, loincloth, and billhook, with Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash.
Lastly, I painted the figure’s integral base with the “Bittersweet Chocolate”.
I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish. Then, when the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the base. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor’s Dullcote". After the Dullcote was dry, I applied a little watered-down Woodland Scenics “Water Effects” to the edge of the base, to give a slight swamp effect.
I’m really happy with this fellow, and in my opinion I think the non-traditional color scheme looks kind of cool.
via All Bones About It http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2018/07/merrow-aquatic-troll-bones-3-figure.html
from Tumblr http://tumblr.hawks-club.org/post/175477440868