Basilisk: Bones 2 Figure

Chris Palmer

     This past week I wanted an easy to paint figure because of the pressing last minute painting I’m doing in preparation for Cold Wars this coming weekend.  So, I picked the Basilisk out of my remaining Bones 2 pile.
    I had no idea what a Basilisk was supposed to look like, so I turned to my old 1978 Monster Manual for Guidance.  It’s description describes them as being dull brown with yellowish underbellies; so thats the coloration I decided to go for.
      I prepped the figure in the usual way, soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.  I then glued the figure to a black-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then placed the figure in my painting grip.

     I began by painting the whole figure including the base with Americana “Raw Umber”, and then did the underbelly with Apple Barrel “Yellow”.

     Then after those colors had time to dry, I gave the entire figure a wash with Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash.  When the wash was dry, I drybrushed the main body with Ceramcoat “territorial Beige”, followed by a lighter drybrush with Americana “Khaki Tan”.

     I continued with the drybrushing of the main body, moving next to Crafter’s Acrylic “Taupe”, and then just a touch of Americana “Bleached Sand”.  After that, I used the “Bleached Sand” to paint the teeth, then highlighted the underbelly with Crafter’s Acrylic “Daffodil Yellow”.  Next, I painted the eyes with Crafter’s Acrylic “Citrus Green”, and then painted the center of the eye with the lighter Americana “Margarita”.  I then lightly drybrushed around the eye with the “Margarita” to provide a little of the eyes’ Object Source Lighting “glow”.  I finished the figure by painting in Americana “Snow White” pupils in the eyes.
      I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish.    Then, when  the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the base.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor’s Dullcote". 

     Well, it was a rush job, and I think it shows a little; but in general I’m happy with it as a gaming figure.

via All Bones About It
from Tumblr

Author: hawksgameclub

0 thoughts on “Basilisk: Bones 2 Figure

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *