Behir: Bones 3 Figure

Chris Palmer

    This past week I painted the Behir figure from the Bones 3 Stoneskull Expansion, as I continue to work my way through the remaining figures I haven’t painted yet from that set while waiting for the arrival of Bones 4.  At this point, all I have left are the Kobolds and the big Iron Golem.
         I prepped the figure in the usual way, soaking the pieces in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them.  Next, I assembled the figure using Gorilla Superglue gel.  I then glued the figure to a 3" fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue.   In my rush to begin, I forgot to pre-prime the washer; so after I glued the figure on, I painted the washer with a brush on clear primer.   The washer didn’t fit in my painting grip, so I hand held the washer for painting.

     I began by painting the head and main body with Crafter’s Acrylic “Tropical Blue”, and then painted the top back portion and the body crest with Americana “Forest Green”.  After that, I painted the belly scales with Folk Art “Celadon Green”.

     Next, I painted the horns with Americana “Wedgewood Blue”, and then painted the mouth with Crafter’s Acrylic “Tutti Frutti”.  I then painted the teeth with Crafter’s Acrylic “Light Antique White”, and the claws with Reaper MSP “Frosty Blue”. 

      At this point, I repainted the main body scales with Folk Art Color Shift “Blue Flash”.   I let the figure dry for a while, and then I gave the entire thing a wash with Citadel “Nuln Oil” wash.  When the wash was dry, I drybrushed the main body scales with the base “Blue Flash” mixed with a little Folk Art Pearl “Aqua Moire”.  I then hit a few individual scales with just the “Aqua Moire”.

        Next, I drybrushed the back and body crest with Folk Art “Color Shift "Green Flash”, and then drybrushed the belly scales with the base “Celadon Green”, and then a little Americana “Snow White”.  I then hit each claw with a dab of the “Celadon Green” as well.  After that, I highlighted the legs with a mix of the “Tropical Blue”, and Crafter’s Acrylic “Cool Blue”.  I worked on the head next, highlighting the mouth with Crafter’s Acrylic “Cherry Blossom Pink”, and the teeth with the “Snow White”.    I then highlighted the horns with Ceramcoat “Denim Blue”.  After that, I painted the eyes with Crafter’s Acrylic “Margarita ” and gave them Black pupils, and then used the Black to paint in the nostrils as well.   Lastly, I painted the entire base with Americana “Mississippi Mud”.
     I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish.    Then, when  the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the base.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor’s Dullcote".    When the Dullcote was dry, I painted the eyes with Americana “DuraClear Gloss Varnish”.

         I’m really happy how this figure turned out.  I have to say though, the way it corkscrews around and has legs sticking out everywhere, it was a bit of challenge to paint.  This is one that might benefit from being painted disassembled first; or maybe assembled into top and bottom halves before painting.

via All Bones About It
from Tumblr

Author: hawksgameclub

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *