As described in Part 1 and in Ross’s blog, we have decided to work on the French Revolution, with the intention of putting the combined results on the table at Huzzah next year (15-17 May 2020) in Portland, Maine. The target rules are A Gentleman’s War (AGW), which gives us a basic structure of 12 man infantry units, 6 man cavalry units, and cannons manned by about four crewmen to work toward. For a two-player game, the rules recommend using 6-9 units for a “small” army. Based on our combined decades of convention gamemastering, we would anticipate that players will have “enough” to do if they are each commanding 3-5 units in a multiplayer game, especially if we are generous with the cameo roles and use the distinctions rules. Six players seems a solid goal for Huzzah, and that translates into 18-30 units, of which we currently have five. It would seems that we have our work cut out for us…
|Setting up outdoors|
Years of experience with casting has taught me that there are variables over which I have no control, so that on days when certain molds are working well, I make extras, because there is no guarantee that things will work again the next time.
|Results of casting session|
I spent three or four hours casting, cycling through three or four molds at a time, enough to allow the casting to solidify before opening the mold, but not so many that the molds got “cold” (it’s all relative when you’re pouring metal at 600+ degrees Fahrenheit). The walking/trotting horse from mold 1322 was having a good day. I was getting a better than 90% success rate on pours, so I made about 20 of them. The galloping horse from mold 1325 almost never works. I tried six or seven times and didn’t get close to a complete casting. This is why every horse already done for this project is a 1322, and it looks likely that every new horse will be too. I wasn’t sure what cavalry I would be making, and a have a handful of the hussar bodies already around, so I only cast three hussars and seven cuirassiers. They also generally cast easily, so getting more later should not be a problem.
|First British under construction|
By Friday evening I had the whole unit assembled. I glued them to craft sticks (aka tongue depressors) for ease of handling.
|A unit ready to prime|
|Sample infantryman, back|
|The state of the rest of the unit when I quit for the day|
via The Sharp End of the Brush http://sharpbrush.blogspot.com/2019/06/expanding-french-revolution-project_2.html
from Tumblr https://harfordhawks.tumblr.com/post/185313318498