Carnivorous Pudding and Acidic Ooze: Bones 4 “Darkreach” Translucent Figures

Chris Palmer

     This past week I also painted the Carnivorous Pudding and Acidic Ooze translucent figures from the  Bones 4 Darkreach Expansion Set. 
       I prepped the figures in the usual way; soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added and then rinsing and drying.   I then superglued the Carnivorous Pudding to an unprimed 1.5"x1.5" steel base, and attached the Acidic Ooze to a 1" fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue.

     To begin with, I painted the entire Pudding with Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish.  When it was dry, I then gave the figure a coat with thin Vallejo Game Color “Black” Ink.  When the ink was dry, I drybrushed the figure with, first, Folk Art Color Shift “Black Flash”, and then, Folk Art Color Shift “Purple Flash”.   
     I was starting to find it awkward to paint the pudding just holding it in my hand, so at this point I glued it to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s glue.   When dry,  I painted the skeleton parts with Ceramcoat “Territorial Beige”, the shield with Americana “True Blue”, and the sword with Americana Zinc.    I then painted the sword grip with Accent “Rea Umber”, and then drybrushed the skeleton parts with Americana “Antique White”.
     Then, to try and give a corroded look, I painted the parts of the shield and sword that were touching the Pudding with Reaper MSP “Aged Pewter”,  followed by Reaper MSP “Scorched Metal”.   After these, I hit it with some spots of Accent “Golden Oxide”.  After that, I gave the skeleton parts, shield and sword all a coat of Citadel “Nuln Oil” wash.     When the wash was dry, I highlighted the skeleton parts with some Americana “Bleached Sand”.
     I then glued the Acidic Ooze to a tongue depressor as well, with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue.
    For this figure, like the Pudding, I painted the entire thing with the “DuraClear Matte” varnish.  When it was dry, I then gave it a coat with thin “Black” Ink.  When the ink was dry, I simply drybrushed it with some Crafter’s Acrylic “Storm Cloud Grey”.  To finish up, I painted the base with Americana “Neutral Grey”.
      I let the two figures dry overnight and the next day I gave them another coat of the “DuraClear Matte” varnish.    I decided not to spray varnish these as I have had some issues in the past with the translucent figures getting a little tacky after a while; so I’m just going to go with the brush on matte varnish. 

     I’m really happy with how these two came out.  And like the Darkreach crystals I did last week, I think the Color Shift paint really gives the translucents an interesting sheen.

via All Bones About It
from Tumblr

Author: hawksgameclub

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *