This past week I painted the Fungal Guardian from the Bones 4 Darkreach Expansion set. This will conclude the mushroom people from that set that I am painting. There were two small mushroom “children” called Fungoids in the set, but I felt they were too cartoony and almost Chibi looking, and didn’t fit with the rest stylistically.
I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added and then rinsing and drying. I then trimmed the base a little and glued the figure to a black primed 1.25" fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue. I then set the washer in my painting grip.
I began by painting the entire body with Folk Art “Celadon Green”. I then painted the cap with Crafter’s Acrylic “Navy Blue”, and the tendrils with Folk Art “Cloudy Day”.
Next, I painted the growth on the back of the head, and the two little nodules on the right hand, with Crafter’s Acrylic “Orange Spice”. I let the figure dry for a while and then I gave the entire thing, except the growth on the back of the head, a coat of Citadel “Nuln Oil” wash. When the wash was dry, I then gave the growth on the back of the head a coat of Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash.
After all he washes were good and dry, I highlighted the cap by drybrushing it with, first, Ceramcoat “Denim Blue”, and then some Apple Barrel “Apple Scotch Blue”. I then panted the eyes with Crafter’s Acrylic “Daffodil Yellow”; and next did the highlights on the body with the base “Celadon Green”, followed by some lighter highlights with Americana “Snow White”. After that, I highlighted the tendrils with Crafter’s Acrylic “Cool Blue”. I also highlighted the growth on his head with the base “Orange Spice” and then some Crafter’s acrylic “Pure Pumpkin”.
Next, I painted the entire base with Americana “Zinc”. When dry, I gave the base a coat of some of the “Nuln Oil” wash. When the wash was dry, I gave it a light drybrush with some Americana “Neutral Grey” followed by Americana “Dove Grey”
I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish. Then, another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor’s Dullcote".
I’m happy with how this one turned out. I like the splash of color the orange adds. I’ll be glad to take a break from painting mushroom now. 🙂
Below is my Darkreach Mushroom-folk and Shrieking Mushroom collection (minus the Fungoids.) There are also a pair of translucent purple mushrooms in the Darkreach set, but I’m waiting on those; as I’m trying to figure out a way to illuminate them…
via All Bones About It http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2019/07/fungal-guardian-bones-4-darkreach-figure.html
from Tumblr https://harfordhawks.tumblr.com/post/186209512203