This past week I painted a pair of the Dark Dwarf “Striker”, “Smiter”, and a pair of the “Cleaver” figures, from the Bones 4 Fan Favorites Expansion. I wanted to use these for a unit of regular Dwarves, having more gaming use for them that way than painted up as Dark Dwarves; and while they’re a little more ragged looking than the average Dwarf, I thought they’d fill the bill of a unit of normal Dwarves just fine. Maybe hard worn veterans. Last week I painted the first half of my unit, doing the “Irontongue Priests” and “Pounder” figures from this set.
I prepped the figures in the usual way, soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them. I then glued them to 1" black-primed fender washers with Aleene’s Tacky glue. I then glued the figures in onto tongue depressors.
I started with the two “Striker” figures and the “Smiter”; painting them entirely with Ceramcoat “Black”. When the Black was dry, I drybrushed the figure with Folk Art Metallics “Gunmetal Grey”. I then passed over it with a lighter drybrush of Ceramcoat “Metallic Silver”.
Next, I painted their tunics and shields with Reaper MSP “Fresh Blood”, and their faces and hands with Americana “Shading Flesh”. After that, I painted the spikes on their shields with Americana “Zinc”, and then their hammers with Reaper MSP “Aged Pewter”.
I then painted the beards and eyebrows on the first and third with Americana “Neutral Grey”, and the beard and eyebrows on the center one with some Americana"Asphaltum". I also painted the eyepatches with the “Black”. Next, I let everything dry for a while, and then gave their faces and hands a coat of Citadel “Reikland Fleshshade” wash. When that was dry, I gave the tunics, shields, and the center beard a coat of Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash. Lastly, I gave the beards on the first and third a coat of Citadel “Nuln Oil” wash. After that, I painted the two pouches on the “Smiter” with Americana “Raw Umber” for one, and Americana “Mississippi Mud” for the other.
At this point I moved on to the two “Cleaver” figures, painting them entirely with the “Black”. When the Black was dry, I drybrushed the figure with the “Gunmetal Grey”. I then passed over it with a lighter drybrush of the “Metallic Silver”.
Next, I painted the spikes on the shilds with the “Zinc”. After that, I let everything dry for a while, and then gave their faces and hands a coat of the “Reikland Fleshshade” wash. When that was dry, I gave the tunics and the beards a coat of Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash.
I let all the figures dry overnight and the next day I gave them a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish. Then, when the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the bases. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed them with Testor’s “Dullcote”.
I’m really happy with this unit turned out and was even lucky to be able to use them in a game last Friday! I will be using them again in a game I’m doing at the Fall-In convention in a couple weeks.
via All Bones About It http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2019/11/dark-dwarves-striker-smiter-and-cleaver.html
from Tumblr https://harfordhawks.tumblr.com/post/188817876588