Deep Gnome Rogue, and Deep Gnome Captain: Bones 4 Darkreach Figures

Chris Palmer

     This past week I painted the “Deep Gnome Rogue”, and “Deep Gnome Captain”, from the Bones 4 Darkreach Expansion.
    I prepped the figures in the usual way, soaking the parts in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them. I then glued them to 7/8" black-primed fender washers with Aleene’s Tacky glue.  I then glued the washers onto a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s white glue.

     I began by painting the skin on both of them with Americana “Sable Brown”.  I then painted the tunic on the Rogue, and shirt on the Captain with Americana “Charcoal Grey”.  After that, I painted the cape on the Rogue and the leggings on the Captain with Americana “Asphaltum”.

     Next, I painted the hood on the Rogue with Americana “Neutral Grey”, and then painted the tunic on the Captain with Crafter’a Acrylic “Orange Spice”.  I also used the “Orange Spice” to paint the leggings on the Rogue, and then painted the belt and scabbards on the Rogue with Americana “Charcoal”, and the belt and pouches on the Captain with Nicole’s “Brown”.  After that, I painted all their shoes with Accent “Real Umber”.

     I decided at that point that I didn’t like the Rogue’s leggings being orange, so I repainted them with Accent “Mustard Seed”.  I also used the “Mustard Seed” to paint the cuffs of the Captain’s tunic.  I then painted the Rogue’s gloves, and the Captain’s scabbard and dagger grip, with Reaper MSP HD “Umber Brown”.  After that, I painted all the metal bits, weapons and armor, with Americana “Zinc”.

     Next, I painted the handle of the Captain’s axe with  Americana “Light Cinnamon”, and then I painted their hair with Americana “Grey Sky”.  I then painted their armor, weapons and assorted metal parts with Folk Art  Metallics “Gunmetal Grey”. I let the figures dry for a while. and then gave their faces, and the Captain’s ears and hands, a coat of Citadel “Reikland Fleshshade” wash.  When that wash was dry, I gave their clothes a coat of Citadel “Agrax Earthshade”.  Another drying break and then I finished the washes by giving a coat of Citadel “Nuln Oil” wash to their hair, armor, and weapons.

    When all the washes were dry, I painted their eyes, and then highlighted their skin with a mix of the base “Sable Brown”, and Americana “Fawn”.  I then highlighted theRogue’s tunic and the Captain’s shirt with Folk Art “Dark Brown”, and then mixed a little Americana “Mississippi Mud” in for lighter highlights.  After that, I highlighted the Rogue’s cape with Nicole’s Brown".

     I then highlighted the Rogue’s hood with Apple Barrel “Rock Grey”, and afterwards highlighted the the Captain’s tunic with the base “Orange Spice” mixed with some Reaper MSP “Pumpkin Orange”, and then mixed with some Apple Barrel “Apple Maple Sugar” for lighter highlights. After that, I highlighted the Rogue’s leggings, and the  Cpatan’s cuffs with the base Accent “Mustard Seed” mixed with some Ceramcoat “Maple Sugar Tan”, and then highlighted their shoes with Folk Art “Teddy Bear Brown”.

     Next, I highlighted their hair with Americana “Snow White”, and then highlighted the Rogue’s scabbards and belt with Americana “Zinc”.  I then highlighted the Captain’s belt, pouches, and scabbard with Ceramcoat “Territorial Beige, followed by lighter highlights using Americana "Khaki Tan”.   After that, I highlighted their weapons armor and other metal bits with Ceramcoat “Metallic Silver”.Lastly, I painted both their  bases with Americana “Mississippi Mud”.
      I let the figures dry overnight and the next day I gave them a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish. I then used some white glue to glue some fine sand to their bases.  When the sand was dry, I painted it with a coat of Americana “Charcoal Grey”. When this was dry, I drybrushed the sand with the “Mississippi Mud”, and then with some Apple Barrel “Rock Grey”; lastly I drybrushed it with a little Americana “Dove Grey”.
      Another overnight dry, and I sprayed the figures with Testor’s Dullcote".

     I’m really happy with this pair.  To be fair, the facial sculpts come with a ton of character, so making these two look good was an easier task.

via All Bones About It
from Tumblr

Author: hawksgameclub

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *