Phase Cat: Bones 4 Darkreach Figure

     This past week I painted the “Phase Cat” translucent figure from the Bones 4 Darkreach Expansion.

      I prepped the figure in the usual way, soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.  I then glued the figure to a brown-primed 1.5″ fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s glue.

     When I set out to paint his figure, my plan was to try and give it a black wash to provide shadows and still retain some of the purple translucency.   So, first thing I did was paint the entire thing with Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish to give the wash something to cling to.  I then got the idea to try my Citadel Contrast paint to see if that would work to give a thicker  covering yet still pool enough into the recesses and recede enough from the high points to give me the effect I was looking for.  The initial coat ended up giving an uneven covering and dried really splotchy, not really flowing well over the matte varnish coat.  I tried applying a second coat which didn’t improve things much.  Also, by that time the figure was really dark and virtually opaque over most of its body.  So, at that point I just threw in the towel and painted the whole thing, except the ends of the tentacles (which I had left bare to begin with), using Ceramcoat “Black”, abandoning the hope of making the whole thing partially transparent.

     Next, I applied a wash to end of the tentacles using Iron Wind Metals “Purple” Ink.   I then did a drybrushing over the body and tentacle shanks using Crafter’s Acrylic “Purple Passion”.  I also used the color directly to paint on some highlights more directly on the head, claws, and where the tentacles meet the body. Next, I mixed the “purple Passion” with a lighter purple from a Reaper MSP S”sample” bottle I have, and repeated the process.  Lastly, I hand applied some point highlights using Apple Barrel “Apple Lavender”. I also drybrushed a little of this over the end tentacle pads (which were dry by this time). 

        I then painted his eyes with Crafter’s Acrylic “Daffodil Yellow”, and gave them “Black” pupils.   After that, I painted his tongue with Crafter’s Acrylic “African Violet”, then painted his teeth with  Americana “Bleached Sand”.  And, lastly, I painted his base with Americana “Mississippi Mud”. 
         I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish.    Then, when  the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the base.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor’s “Dullcote”. 

     Well, there it is.   I’m not too thrilled with how it turned out, but in the end the figure just didn’t inspire me.

Go to Source

0

Author: Chris Palmer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *