Rockmaw: Bones 4 Darkreach Figure

      This past week I painted the “Rockmaw” from the Bones 4 Darkreach Expansion. 
      I prepped the “Rockmaw” in the usual way, soaking the pieces in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added; then giving the pieces a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying everything.  I then glued the arms and mouth into place using Gorilla Superglue gel. I then glued the figure to a brown-primed 1.5″ fender washer using Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the washer to the top of a large pill bottle with a couple drops of Elmers white glue.
     As I was prepping this figure I became aware of some really unfortunate mold line issues, where the lines ran directly down the center of legs perpendicular to the ridges sculpted into the legs.  This would make completely removing these lines a laborious task, one I wasn’t willing to undertake.  So I did the best I could to scrape them down a little, then I got on with the panting. 

     I began by painting the figure entirely with Ceramcoat “Charcoal”.   When that was dry, I drybrushed the entire figure with Folk Art “Dapple Grey”.  I ended up applying the drybrushing too heavily, obscuring the ride deffiniton on the legs, so I went back and gave the entire figure a coat of  Citadel “Nuln Oil” wash to redefine the ridges.

     When the wash was dry, I re-applied the “Dapple Grey” drybrushing to the whole figure.  I then gave a lighter drybrushing of  Americana “Jade Green” to the figure.  After that, I painted the claws and toenails with Folk Art “GrayGreen”, the teeth with Americana “Antique White”, and the eyes with  Crafter’s Acrylic “Daffodil Yellow”.  I then went back and directly painted the center of each leg ridge, and some of the bumps on the body and arms, with the “Jade Green”, to give each a brighter central highlight.

    Next, after everything had dried a while, I gave the claws and toenails a coat of the “Nuln Oil” wash, and then gave the teeth a coat of Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash.  After that, I used some Reaper MSP “Grey Liner” to outline the eyes and help define them.
     When the washes and liner were dry, I highlighted the claws and toenails with the base “Gray Green”, and then mixed in a little Americana “Dove Grey” to give a lighter highlight.  I then highlighted the teeth with the base “Antique White”, and blended up to some “Americana “Bleached Sand” at the top of each tooth. After that, I painted Ceramcoat “Black” pupils in each eye and added an Americana “Snow White” reflective dot in each eye.   
     I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish. I then used some white glue to glue some fine sand to the base.  When the sand was dry, I painted it with a coat of Americana “Charcoal Grey”. When this was dry, I drybrushed the sand with the “Mississippi Mud”, and then with some Apple Barrel “Rock Grey”; lastly I drybrushed it with a little Americana “Dove Grey”.
      Another overnight dry, and I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote”. When the “Dullcote” was dry, I went back and repainted the eyes with a little Americana “DuraClear Gloss” varnish.

     I’m happy with how this beastie turned out, despite the mold-line issue.  The shape and textures made it an interesting challenge over the usual humanoid shaped monster.

Go to Source

0

Author: Chris Palmer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *