Bones 4: Bloodstone Gnome Scragger and Bodyguard

      This past week I painted the “Bloodstone Gnome Scragger” and “Bloodstone Gnome Bodyguard” from the Bones 4 Darkreach Expansion.   I have to say, I  wasn’t excited about doing these minis, as I really didn’t like the Aztec ascetic for Dark Gnomes.  I also found the sclupts to be particularly fussy for such little figures, with all kinds of details and bits and bobs on them. 
      I prepped the figures in the usual way, soaking the parts in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them. I then glued them to 7/8″ brown-primed fender washers with Aleene’s Tacky glue.  I then glued the washers onto a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s white glue.

     I began by panting their skin with Americana “Charcoal Grey”.  I then painted the loin cloth on the lefthand one , and the shirt on the righthand one, with Ceramcoat “Charcoal”. After that, I painted the scarf on the lefthand one, and the loincloth on the righthand one with Crafter’s Acrylic “Navy Blue”. 

    Next, I painted their armor with Americana “Terra Cotta”, and then painted their feet/leg wraps with Folk Art “Cloudy Day”.  After that, I painted the wrist wraps on the lefthand one, and the neck collar and belt pouches on the righthand one, with Ceramcoat “Territorial Beige”. 

     I then painted both sword grips, and sword blade on the righthand one, with with Accent “Real Umber”, and the sword blade on the lefthand one and spear shaft on the righthand one with Reaper MSP HD “Rusty Red”. After that, I painted the parts I was going to paint gold with Americana “Antique Gold”, and the parts I was going to paint as metal with Americana “Zinc”. 

     Next, I painted the obsidian “blades” on all the weapons with Ceramcoat “Black”.  After that, I repainted the metal parts I had previously paint with the Zinc, using Folk Art  Metallics “Gunmetal Grey”; and repainted the parts I had previously painted with the “Antique Gold”, using Folk Art Brushed Metal “Brushed Bronze”.   I let the figures dry for a while, and then gave them both a coat of Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash.

    When the wash was dry, I painted the eyes, and then highlighted the skin with a mix of the base “CharcoalGrey”, and some Americana “Mississippi Mud”.  At that point, I realized they had exposed teeth, so I took a moment to paint those with Americana “Bleached Sand”, and then gave them a quick wash with the “Agrax Earthshade”.  After that, I highlighted the leather armor with Reaper MSP “Bronzed Skin”.

          Next, I highlighted their leggings with Folk Art “Cloudy Day”, and then highlighted the left one’s loin cloth, and the right one’s shirt with Americana “Zinc”.  I then highlighted the left one’s  scarf, and the right one’s loin cloth, with Citadel “The Fang” mixed with a little Folk Art “Settler’s Blue”.  After that, I highlighted the wrist wraps on the lefthand one, and the neck collar and belt pouches on the righthand one, with Americana “Fawn”.

        I then highlighted the body of the lefthand one’s sword and the righthand one’s spear shaft with some Reaper MSP “Holly Berry” mixed with a little Crafter’s Acrylic “Pure Pumpkin”.  After that, I highlighted the righthand one’s sword blade body with Americana “Light Cinnamon”, and then highlighted all the obsidian parts with Crafter’s Acrylic “Cool Blue”.  Wrapping thing up, I highlighted the parts I painted with the “Gunmetal Grey” using Ceramcoat “Silver”, and highlighted the  parts I had painted with the “Brushed Bronze”, using Folk Art “Pure Gold”.   I finished by painting both their  bases with Americana “Mississippi Mud”.

      I let the figures dry overnight and the next day I gave them a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish. I then used some white glue to glue some fine sand to their bases.  When the sand was dry, I painted it with a coat of Americana “Charcoal Grey”. When this was dry, I drybrushed the sand with the “Mississippi Mud”, and then with some Apple Barrel “Rock Grey”; lastly I drybrushed it with a little Americana “Dove Grey”.
      Another overnight dry, and I sprayed the figures with Testor’s Dullcote”.  When the “Dullcote” was dry, I went back and repainted the obsidian with a some Americana “DuraClear Gloss” varnish.

     Well, there they are.  They turned out okay, but my heart wasn’t in them.  I have decided life’s too short for me to paint stuff I really don’t like, so the remainder of the set, is going in my sale/trade box. 

0

Author: Chris Palmer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *