Troglodytes (Spearman, Warrior & Boss): Bones 4 Darkreach Figures

     This past week I painted the “Troglodyte Spearman”, “Troglodyte Warrior”, and “Troglodyte Boss” figures from the Bones 4 Darkreach Expansion.  I’ve only got one Darkreach figure left to do after these guys, and I’ll have completed all the figures I kept from that expansion.   These guys had a lot of nice detail sculpted into their scaly skin, so I thought they might be good candidates for some Citadel Contrast paint.  So I thought I’d try something of a hybrid approach using both the Contrast paint and regular paint.
      I prepped the figures in the usual way, soaking the parts in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them. I then glued them to 1″ brown-primed fender washers with Aleene’s Tacky glue.  I then glued the washers onto a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s white glue.

     I began by giving all of them complete coats of Ceramcoat “White”.  When that was dry, I painted their bodies with Citadel Contrast “Militarum Green”.

     I began by working on their abdomen, chest, and the bottoms of their feet areas, using a blend of the base “Militarum Green” and mixing in some Americana “Antique White”; I then gradually increased the amount of the “Antique White” as I worked towards the higher center areas.  After that, I used some Americana “Jade Green” to highlight areas of the body like fingers, toes, and lips.  I then used Folk Art “Grey Green” to paint the spikes, horns, and claws; and then highlighted these areas with Folk Art “Porcelain White”.  I felt the highlight wasn’t enough, so I went back and added some Folk Art “Celadon Green” to the very tips.

          Next, I repainted the center figure’s bone club, and the bone handle of the righthand ones’ axe, with the “White”.  I then painted the lefthand one’s spear handle with Americana “Mississippi Mud”, then painted the spear point, axe head, and all their ankle bracelets with Accent “Golden Oxide”.  After that, I painted the bindings on the spear, club and axe, with Ceramcoat “Territorial Beige”. I then moved to their mouths, painting the inside of the lefthand one’s mouth with Folk Art “Milkshake”, and then painting all their teeth with Folk Art “Barn Wood”.  I then went back and gave the center figure’s bone club, and the bone handle of the righthand ones’ axe a coat of Citadel Contrast “Skeleton Horde”.

         I then applied a coat of “Nuln Oil” wash to the teeth and mouth of the figures.  While that dried, I did highlights on the spear shaft using some of the “Barn Wood” mixed with the base “Mississippi Mud”.  By now the “Skeleton Horde” Contrast paint had dried, so I did some light drybrush highlights on the bone club, and axe handle with Americana “Bleached Sand”.  The “Nuln Oil” was dry too, so I highlighted the teeth with the “Bleached Sand” as well.  After that, I highlighted all the bindings on the weapons with Folk Art ‘Butter Pecan”.   

     Next, I moved to the metallics, Painting the spear point and axe head with Folk Art Brushed Metal “Brushed Bronze”.  I let that dry for a while, and then came back and drybrushed it with some Ceramcoat “MetallicBronze”.  I then mixed some of the “metallic Bronze with a little DecoArt Metallic “Bight Brass” to do lighter highlights.
    Finishing up, I painted the back of the open mouth on the lefthand one with a little Citadel “Black Templar” Contrast to give the appearance of a throat.  I then painted the eyeballs with the “Black Templar” as well.   When they were dry, Ipainted the eyeballs again using Crafter’s Acrylic “Daffodil Yellow”  and then gave them Ceramcoat “Black” slit pupils.  Lastly, I painted the bases with Americana “Mississippi Mud”.
         I let the figures dry overnight and the next day I gave them a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish.    Then, when  the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the bases.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed them with Testor’s “Dullcote”. When the “Dullcote” was dry, I went back and repainted the eyes and teeth with a little Americana “DuraClear Gloss” varnish.

     I’m really happy with how this trio turned out.  I think the Contrast paint really was effective on the scaly skin, and blended well with more conventional paints.  

Go to Source

0

Author: Chris Palmer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *