Gloom Stalker: Bones 4 Darkreach Figure

      This past week I painted the “Gloom Stalker” from the Bones 4 Darkreach Expansion; this is Reaper’s version of the D&D Hook Horror.   This is the last figure from the Darkreach Expansion I had left to paint.  So it feels good to get one expansion completed. (Note: I traded or sold the Fungoids, and all but two of the Bloodstone Gnomes.) 

     I began by painting the body of the figure with Ceramcoat “Black”.   Then when the “Black” was dry, I drybrushed it with Crafter’s Acrylic “African Violet”.  After that, I gave it a lighter drybrush of Apple Barrel “Apple Lavender”.  I then worked on the underbelly, first using a mix of the “Black” and the “African Violet” around the outer edges, and then adding in some of the “Apple Lavender” to blend it lighter towards the center.  Lastly, I mixed in some Folk Art “Milkshake” for the center.  I then drybrushed it with Americana “Dove Grey”, and then directly painted some “Dove Grey” highlights.

     Next, I painted the feet with the “Milkshake”, and then painted the blade-like “hooks”, talons, and beak with Folk Art “Barn Wood”.  When dry, I attempted to blend them all into the black body by mixing the base color, (“Milkshake” for the feet, “Barn Wood” for the blade-like “hooks”, talons, and beak,) with Citadel Contrast “Black Templar”.  When that was dry, I gave the blade-like “hooks”, talons, beak, and feet all a coat of Citadel “Nuln Oil”.

     When the wash was dry, I drybrushed the blade-like “hooks”, talons, and beak, with the base “Barn Wood”.  I then did some direct brush highlights with the same color where it was too close to the black body to drybrush well.  Next, I mixed some Crafter’s Acrylic “Light Antique White” with the “Barn Wood” and did another round of lighter highlights.  After that, I did a few spot highlights with just the plain “Light Antique White”.  I then highlighted the feet with the base “Milkshake”.  

     Moving on to the eyes next, I painted the immediate area around them with the “African Violet”, and then painted the eyeball with Americana “Zinc”.  When dry, I painted large pupil with Crafter’s Acrylic “Daffodil Yellow”, and then  a smaller inner pupil with Ceramcoat “White”.
   I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish. I then used some white glue to glue some fine sand around the edge of the integral base to cover the areas where the black under-base showed.  When the sand was dry, I painted it with a coat of Americana “Charcoal Grey”. When this was dry, I drybrushed the sand with the “Mississippi Mud”, and then with some Apple Barrel “Rock Grey”; lastly I drybrushed it with a little Americana “Dove Grey”. Next, I painted the sculpted bone on the base with the “Light Antique White”.  When that was dry, I gave it a coat of Citadel Contrast “Skeleton Horde”.
      Another overnight dry, and I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote”. When the “Dullcote” was dry, I went back and repainted the eyes with a little Americana “DuraClear Gloss” varnish.

     I’m really happy with how this guy turned out.  I wasn’t expecting a lot from the figure, but for some reason the black, purple, and off-white color scheme really seems to make it pop for me.  Sadly this is another figure that suffers from some poorly placed mold lines, and I just don’t have the patience to spend a lot of time trying to remove them from uneven and textured surfaces.  

Go to Source

0

Author: Chris Palmer

1 thought on “Gloom Stalker: Bones 4 Darkreach Figure

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *