Giant Leeches: Bones 4 Dreadmere Figures

   This past week I painted the pair of “Giant Leech” figures from the Bones 4 Dreadmere Expansion.   I took a break from the Maggotcrown soldiers this week, since with Thanksgiving and the official start of Christmas decorating, I knew painting time would be limited. 
       I prepped the figures in the usual way, soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them.  I then glued both figures to 1″ brown-primed fender washers with Aleene’s Tacky glue.  Then before gluing them to a painting stick, I used some white glue to glue some fine sand to the base.  When the sand was dry, I then glued the washers onto a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s white glue.

     I began by painting both leeches entirely with Vallejo “USA Olive Drab”.  When that was dry, I gave both a coat of Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash.

   When the wash was dry, I drybrushed the bodies with Aleene’s “Deep Khaki”, followed by a lighter drybrushing on the top surfaces using Aleene’s “Dusty Khaki”.   I then painted the mouths with a 50/50 mix of Crafter’s Acrylic “Tutti Fruitti” and Americana “Shading Flesh”. 

    Next, I painted the teeth with Americana “Bleached Sand”, and when the mouth was dry, I gave the teeth and mouths a coat of Citadel “Nuln Oil” wash.  When dry, I highlighted the folds in the moth with Apple Barrel “Apple Lt Pink”, and highlighted the teeth with Ceramcoat “White”.  After that, I painted the eye dots with Ceramcoat “Black”, and then went back and gave each one a highlight dot with the “White”.   

      I then painted the bases with a coat of Americana “Charcoal Grey”. When this was dry, I drybrushed the bases with, first, Ceramcoat “Territorial Beige”, then Americana “Khaki Tan”, and lastly, Americana “Bleached Sand”.  As I was drybrushing, I noticed the one on the left actually had a partial skeleton molded on it’s base.  So, I hit it directly with a heavier drybrushing of the “Bleached Sand”, I then gave it a little coat of the “Nuln Oil” to help darked the recesses, and afterwards went over it again with a light drybrush of Ceramcoat “White”. 
       I let the Leeches dry overnight and the next day I gave them a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish.    Another overnight dry, and I sprayed them with Testor’s “Dullcote”

     Simple figures and quick simple paint jobs; but I’m pleased with how they turned out.   And they were just the thing for a busy week. 

Go to Source

0

Author: Chris Palmer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *