Willow Greenivy, Witch: Bones 4 Figure

      This past week I painted “Willow Greenivy, Witch” from the Bones 4 Core Set.    My temptation with witches is to usually go for a traditional palette of  black, purple, maybe green, perhaps red; so I wanted to  go a little different with this figure and try something lighter in the “good witch” vein.
       I prepped the figure in the usual way, soaking its pieces in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them.  I then glued the hat and hand in the left sleeve, and the staff/wand and hand in the right; both with Gorilla Gel Super Glue.  Next I glued the figure to a  1″ plastic base with the same glue, and then placed the figure in my painting grip.

     I began by painting her face and hands with Reaper MSP “Tanned Skin”.  I then painted her dress and hat with Americana “Fawn”, and her tabard and hat band with Americana “Asphaltum”.

      Next, I painted her hair with Americana “Forest Green”, and then did her belt and scabbard with Crafter’s Acrylic “Forest Green”. After that, I painted her wand/staff with Folk Art “Barn Wood”, and the pouch hanging at her side with Ceramcoat “Territorial Beige”.

     I let everything dry for a while, and then gave her face and hands a coat of Citadel “Reikland Fleshshade” wash.   I let that dry, and then gave all her clothing, hair, and accessories a coat of  Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash.   When that was dry, I painted her eyes, using a little of the Americana “Forest Green” as an eyeshadow, and then highlighted her face and hands using the base “Tanned Skin” as well as Reaper MSP “Tanned Highlight”.  After that, I highlighted her hair with Americana “Festive Green”, and then give it a light highlighting with some Folk Art Color Shift “Green Flash”. 

     I then highlighted her dress with the base “Fawn” mixed with increasing amounts of Crafter’s Acrylic “Light Antique White”.  And after that I highlighted her tabard with the base “Asphaltum” mixed with increasing amounts of Folk Art “Teddy Bear Brown”. I also highlighted her wand/staff with “Reaper MSP “Graveyard Bone”.   
      Next, I highlighted her scabbard and belt with he base Crafter’s Acrylic “Forest Green”, and then painted the sword’s grip with Folk Art “Hunters Green”.  I went back and gave the grip a quick highlight with some Apple Barrel “Apple Christmas Green”.  I then highlighted the pouch with a little Reaper MSP “Olive Skin Highlight”, and then some Americana “Antique White”.   
     I then tried the same Citadel Contrast Paint technique on the gemstone in her wand that I had used three weeks ago with great success on the Wizard Arakus Landarzad .  I painted the gem with Ceramcoat “White”, and then let it dry.  When dry, I gave it a coat of Citadel Contrast “Creed Camo”.  Unfortunately, on such a small and faceted stone, with the interspersed twigs holding it in place, it didn’t quite work as well.  So, I went back and use a little of the “Festive Green” mixed with some Americana “Snow White” to add some highlighting.    
     After that I painted the sword hilt, buckle, and coin/tokens hanging from the belt, with Folk Art Brushed Metal “Brushed Bronze”.  I then went back and highlighted them with Folk Art Metallic “Pure Gold”.  Lastly, I painted the figure’s base with the “Mississippi Mud”.
     I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish. I then used some white glue to glue some fine sand to the base.  When the sand was dry, I painted it with a coat of Americana “Charcoal Grey”. When this was dry, I drybrushed the sand with the “Mississippi Mud”, and then with some Apple Barrel “Rock Grey”; lastly I drybrushed it with a little Americana “Dove Grey”.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote”.  When the “Dullcote” was dry, I went back and repainted the gem with a little Americana “DuraClear Gloss” varnish.

     I’m really pleased with how she turned out.  I wish I had had time to do a little trim on her dress, and perhaps a design on her tabard,  but in the end I think the plain look doesn’t look bad on the figure; perhaps the green hair has enough of a visual impact on its own that she doesn’t need fancy clothes.  And yes, I did use some green, despite my mental attempt to steer away for colors you usually see on witches. But I kept being drawn to the color…maybe it’s because it’s in her name!

Go to Source

Author: Chris Palmer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *